英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

你从一开始就很强吗?

发布者: 五毒 | 发布时间: 2024-6-30 19:18| 查看数: 121| 评论数: 0|



And now, Words and Their Stories from VOA Learning English.

现在是VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。

At the start of this program, we usually share the expression or idiom we are going to talk about.

在本节目开始时,我们通常会分享我们要谈论的表达或习语。

We do this right out of the gate so that listeners know what to expect.

我们一开始就这么做,这样听众就知道要发生什么。

Out of the gate means the very start of something - like an audio program!

Out of the gate是指某件事的开始——比如音频节目!

Some people are really good at starting things.

有些人真的很擅长开始一件事情。

Whether it is planning a fun family reunion or a serious work-related project, they are strong right out of the gate.

无论是计划一个有趣的家庭聚会还是一个严肃的工作相关项目,他们一开始就很强大。

Other people may be slow out of the gate.

其他人可能一开始很慢。

They take their time getting started, but they may be strong finishers.

他们开头慢慢来,但他们可能是强大的终结者。

So, out of the gate means the very of beginning of something.

所以,out of the gate的意思是某事的最开始。

We can also say at the outset.

我们也可以说“at the outset”。

Here is an example.

以下是一个例子。

As soon as I signed up for an online class, I had trouble with technology.

我刚报名了一个在线课程就遇到了技术问题。

I couldn't get logged in.

我无法登录。

I forgot my password.

我忘记密码了。

And then my computer crashed.

然后我的电脑死机了。

I had so many technical issues right out of the gate!

我一开始就遇到了很多技术问题!

I had problems at the outset or at the very beginning of the class.

我在课程一开始或一开始就遇到了问题。

This expression comes from sports or activities that involve holding animals behind a gate until it is time to start.

这个表达来源于把动物关在门后直到计时开始的运动或活动。

With horse racing, dog racing, and bull-riding, the animals all wait behind a gate.

在赛马、赛狗和牛背骑术运动中,动物们都在门后等着。

When I was a child, my parents often took me to horse races.

当我还是个孩子的时候,我的父母经常带我去看赛马。

The horses were behind a gate as they waited to start the race.

马在门后等着开始比赛。

As soon as they were out of the gate, the race had started!

它们一跨出门,比赛就开始了!

That's also when my parents would start yelling.

那也是我父母开始大喊的时候。

Right out of the gate, they would yell for their horse to win.

一跨出门,他们就会高声呼喊自己看中的马获胜。

In English, we have other similar expressions.

在英语中,我们还有其他类似的表达。

Word experts say that the expression right off the bat is from baseball, cricket, or another sport where a bat is involved.

词汇专家表示,“right off the bat”这个短语来自棒球、板球或其他涉及球棒的运动。

The batter hits the ball, the ball is in play and the actions of the other players begin.

击球手击球,比赛开始进行,其他球员开始动作。

They are, more or less, waiting for that ball to be hit before they have something to do.

他们或多或少都在等待球被击中,然后才有所动作。

So, if something happens right off the bat, it happens as soon as something starts.

因此,如果某件事right off the bat,那么这件事一开始就会发生。

Another similar expression is from the get-go.

另一个类似表达是“from the get-go”。

When we say from the get-go, we are also talking about the start of something.

当我们说“from the get-go”时,我们也就是在谈论某事的开始。

Here's an example using that one.

以下是一个使用该表达的例子。

Let's say you start a new job.

假设你开始一份新工作。

It's important to make a good first impression from the get-go.

从一开始就给人留下良好的第一印象很重要。

On your first day, you want to be on time and ready to work.

上班第一天,你想要准时并做好准备开始工作。

As we like to say, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

正如我们一向说的那样,你没有第二次机会给人留下第一印象。

And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories.

以上就是本期《词汇掌故》的全部内容。

Until next time ...

下期节目再见……

I'm Anna Matteo.

安娜·马特奥为您播报。


最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表