英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

美国女性建筑工人的生活

发布者: 五毒 | 发布时间: 2020-3-26 02:02| 查看数: 669| 评论数: 0|



A nine-to-five office job isn’t for these women.

朝九晚五的办公室工作不适合这些女性。

Instead, they work construction and they do it for the same reasons the men do,

相反,她们从事建筑工作,她们的工作原因和男性相同,

because they find construction work more fulfilling.

因为他们觉得建筑工作更有成就感。

Being able to see the bigger picture, being a part of something bigger,

能够看到更大的图景,成为更大事物的一部分,

so driving by the building be like, I built that building to your family,

所以开车经过那栋楼的时候就像,我为你的家人建了那栋楼,

or to your kids in the future, that’s kind of why I did it,

或者对你未来的孩子们说,这就是为什么我这么做的原因,

just to be a part of something bigger.

只是为了成为更伟大事业的一部分。

Before they start working, these women taken mandatory training course at a special center.

在她们开始工作之前,这些女性参加了一个特殊中心的强制性培训课程。

And many of them say it teaches them not just to construct buildings,

他们中的许多人说,这不仅教会了他们建造建筑物,

but also build a harmonious relationship with themselves.

还要与自己建立和谐的关系。

I think it’s for me, personally, it’s a constant battle on gaining confidence,

我认为对我个人来说,这是一场不断获得自信的战斗,

but this job has definitely helped it.

但这份工作确实帮了大忙。

I don’t think I would be as confident as I am now working in another field.

我想我不会像现在在另一个领域工作那么自信。

Today women make up about 10 percent of all construction workers in the country.

如今,女性占全国建筑工人的10%。

All the workers need are a few tools, a helmet, special protective glasses, training, and self-confidence.

所有工人都需要一些工具、一个头盔、特殊的防护眼镜、培训,和自信。

Kelly Kaptchuk has been working in construction for over two decades. Kelly Kaptchuk

已经在建筑行业工作了20多年。

For the last three years, she has been head of the Tradeswomen organization,

在过去的三年里,她一直是贸易妇女组织的负责人,

a company that has been helping women in Portland Oregon, to master construction work for free.

该组织一直在帮助俄勒冈州波特兰的妇女免费学习建筑工作。

Kaptchuk also helps them find a job, something a lot of them need Kaptchuk

还帮助她们找到一份工作,一份很多人都需要的工作,

because it’s harder for women to break into the business.

因为女性进入这个行业比较困难。

I also saw some really hard things,

我也看到了一些非常艰难的事情,

and I experienced some really hard things as a woman,

作为一名女性,我经历了一些非常艰难的事情,

in an industry that still dominated by men, and an industry which I think is changing,

在一个仍然由男性主导的行业,我认为这个行业正在改变,

but back then, it was still largely this very macho like,

但那时候,他还是很有男子气概,

why are you here,

你怎么会在这里

why are you here taking my job,

你为什么要抢走我的工作

why are you here taking a job from another man who has to feed his family,

你为什么要从另一个要养家的男人那里抢工作,

and I was like, I have to feed my family too.

我想,我也得养活我的家人。

So that was a big eye-opening experience for me firsthand.

对我来说,这是一个让我大开眼界的亲身经历。



最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表