找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

A Ball to Roll Around(A)

发布者: katy | 发布时间: 2010-1-27 10:09| 查看数: 2254| 评论数: 0|

I lost my sight when I was four years old by falling off a box car in a freight yard in Atlantic City and landing on my head. Now I am thirty-two. I can vaguely remember the brightness of sunshine and what color red is. It would be wonderful to see again, but a calamity can do strange things to people. It occurred to me the other day that I might not have come to love life as I do if I hadn’t been blind. I believe in life now. I am not so sure that I would have believe in it so deeply, otherwise. I don’t mean that I would prefer to go without my eyes. I simply mean that the loss of them made me appreciate the more what I had left.

Life, I believe, asks a continuous series of adjustments to reality. The more readily a person is able to make these adjustments, the more meaningful his own private world becomes. The adjustment is never easy. I was bewildered and afraid. But I was lucky. My parents and my teachers saw something in me——a potential to live , you might call it—— which I didn’t see, and they made me want to fight it out with blindness.

4岁那年在大西洋城,我从货场一辆棚车上摔下来,头先着地,于是双目失明。现在我已经32岁了,还模糊地记得阳光是多么灿烂,红色是多么鲜艳。能恢复视觉固然好,但灾难也能对人产生奇妙的作用。有一天,我突然想到,倘若我不是盲人,或许不会变得像现在这样生活,但我不能肯定如果自己不盲,会不会像现在这样深信。这并不是所我宁愿成为盲人,我的意思是失去视力使我更加珍惜自己其他方面的能力了。

我认为,生活要求人不断地自我调整以适应现实。人愈能及时主动地进行调整,他的个人世界便越有意义。调整绝非易事,我也曾感到茫然、感到害怕。但我很幸运,父母和老师在我身上发现了某种东西——可以称之为“顽强的生命力”把——而我自己却没有发现,他们激励我与失明拼搏到底。

最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表