搜索

War And Peace 战争与和平(英汉) 作者:Leo Tolstoy 列夫 · 托尔斯泰

发布者: 风の语 | 发布时间: 2007-11-7 23:57| 查看数: 79505| 评论数: 671|

最新评论

风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:37:14
“怎么已被占领了?维也纳已被占领了?”

“不仅被占领,而且波拿巴正待在申布鲁恩宫。伯爵,我们可爱的伯爵弗尔布纳已动身前往波拿巴处乞求指示了。”

博尔孔斯基在旅途劳累之后,印象犹新,在领受接待之后,尤其是在午宴之后他觉得,他弄不明白他所听到的这番话的全部意义。

“今天早上利希滕费尔斯伯爵到过这里了,”比利宾继续说下去,“他把一封信拿给我看,信中详尽地描述了法国人在维也纳举行阅兵式的实况。LeprinceMuratettoutletremBblement…①您知道,你们的胜利不是令人很高兴的事,您也不会像救世主那样受到厚待……”

“说实在的,我是无所谓的,完全无所谓的啊!”安德烈公爵说道。他开始明了,因为奥国首都已被占领,所以他所获悉的克雷姆斯城郊一战的消息就缺乏重要意义了。“维也纳怎么被占领了?那座大桥、那座举世闻名的tetedepont②,还有奥尔斯珀格公爵怎么样了?我们这里谣传,奥尔斯珀格公爵正在捍卫维也纳。”他说道。

①法语:缪拉亲王及其他……

②法语:堡垒。

“奥尔斯珀格公爵驻守在我军占领的大河这边,正在保卫我们。我认为他保卫得十分差劲,但毕竟是在保卫。维也纳在大河对岸。有一座桥还未被占领。我希望桥梁不被占领,因为桥上布满了地雷,并且下达了炸桥的命令。否则,我们老早就到波希米亚山区去了,你们随同你们的军队都要遭受到两面夹攻了。”

“但是,这还不意味,战役已经宣告结束。”安德烈公爵说道。

“我想,战役已经结束了。这里的一些大笨伯都有这种想法,但是不敢说出这句话。我在战役开始时说过的话就要兑现了,对战事起决定作用的不是你们的échauffouréedeDürenstein①,而且根本不是火药,而是那些妄图发动战争的人,”比利宾说道,把他爱用的mots②重说一遍,又一面舒展额角上皱起的皮肤,停顿一会儿,“问题只在于,亚历山大皇帝和普鲁士国王在柏林会谈的内容如何。如果普鲁士加入联盟,onforceralamainàl'Autriche③,战争就会爆发起来。若非如此,那末,问题只在于,双方议定于何地拟订新的CamBpoFormio④的初步条款。

“多么非凡的天才啊!”安德烈公爵忽然喊道,握紧他那细小的拳头,捶打着桌子,“这个人多么幸运啊!”

“Buonaparte?”⑤比利宾带着疑问的语调说道,他蹙起额头,想要人家意识到,unmot⑥就要出现了,“是波拿巴吗?”他说道,特别强调“u”的重音,“不过我以为,正当他在申布鲁恩宫制定奥国法典时,ilfautluifairvegracedel'u,⑦我要坚决地规定一项新办法,索兴称他Bonapartetoutcourt。”⑧

①法语和德语:迪伦斯坦交火。

②法语:词儿。

③法语:那就对奥国采取强制手段。

④法语:坎波福朱奥和约。

⑤法语:是波拿巴吗?

⑥法语:俏皮话。

⑦法语:就应当使他避免发出“u”音。

⑧法语:索兴称他波拿巴。

“不,甭开玩笑,”安德烈公爵说道,“您难道以为战役已经结束了吗?”

“我就是这样想的。奥国打输了,可是它不会习惯于失败的局面。它要报复的。它之所以失利,首先是因为一些省份已被摧毁(ondit,leest东正教的terriblepourlepillage①,军队被粉碎,首都被占领,这一切都是pourlesbeauxyeuxdu撒丁陛下②,其二是因为——entrenous,moncherB,③——我凭嗅觉正闻到,人家在欺骗我们,我凭嗅觉还闻到,他们和法国搭上了关系,制订了和约草案——单独缔结的秘密和约草案。”

“这不可能啊!”安德烈公爵说道,“这真是可恶极了。”

“Quivivranerra.”④比利宾说,又舒展皱起的皮肤,表示谈话结束了。

①法语:据说东正教的军队抢得很厉害。

②法语:为了撒丁陛下好看的眼睛。

③法语:我亲爱的,在我们之间说说。

④法语:过些日子,就会看清楚。

当安德烈公爵走到给他布置的房间、穿着干净的睡衣躺在绒毛褥子上、垫着香喷喷的暖和的枕头的时候,他感觉到,由他报送消息的那次战斗和他相隔很远很远了。他关心的是普鲁士联盟、奥国的变节、波拿巴的又一次大捷、明天的出朝、阅兵以及弗朗茨皇帝的接见。

他闭上眼睛,就在这一瞬间他耳鼓中响起隆隆的枪炮声和辚辚的车轮声,又看见排成一条长线的火枪兵走下山来,一群法国兵开枪射击,他于是觉得,他的心在颤栗着,他和施米特并骑向前疾驶,子弹在他四周欢快地呼啸,他体会到一种从童年起未曾体会到的生存的万分喜悦的感觉。

他醒悟了……

“是啊,这一切已是明日黄花!……”他说道,他脸上自然流露着幸福的童稚的微笑,这个年轻人于是酣然入睡了。
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:37:39
CHAPTER XI

Chinese

NEXT DAY he waked up late. Going over the impressions of the past, what he recalled most vividly was that he was to be presented to the Emperor Francis; he remembered the minister of war, the ceremonious adjutant, Bilibin, and the conversation of the previous evening. He dressed for his attendance at court in full court-dress, which he had not worn for a long time, and fresh, eager, and handsome, he walked into Bilibin's room with his arm in a sling. Four gentlemen of the diplomatic corps were already there. With Prince Ippolit Kuragin, who was a secretary to the embassy, Bolkonsky was already acquainted; Bilibin introduced him to the others.

The gentlemen calling on Bilibin were a set of fashionable, wealthy, and lively young men, who here, as at Vienna, made up a circle apart, a circle which Bilibin, its leader, spoke of as les nôtres. This circle, consisting almost exclusively of diplomatists, evidently had its own interests—quite apart from the war and politics—interests, that revolved round the fashionable world, relations with certain women and the formal side of the service. They gave Prince Andrey an unmistakably cordial reception, as one of themselves (a distinction they allowed to few). From civility and to break the ice they asked him a few questions about the army and the battle, and the conversation slipped back again to disconnected, good-humoured jests and gossip.

“But what was so particularly nice,” said one, relating a disaster that had befallen a colleague, “was that the minister told him in so many words that his appointment to London was a promotion and that that was how he ought to regard it. Can you fancy his figure at the moment?”…

“But the worst of all is to come, gentlemen. I'm going to betray Kuragin—here is this Don Juan going to profit by his misfortune; he's a shocking fellow!”

Prince Ippolit lounged in a reclining chair, with his legs over the arm. He laughed.

“Tell me about that,” said he.

“O Don Juan! O serpent!” cried the voices.

“You're not aware, I dare say, Bolkonsky,” said Bilibin, turning to Prince Andrey, “that all the atrocities of the French army (I was almost saying of the Russian) are nothing in comparison with the exploits of this fellow among the ladies.”

“Woman…is the companion of man,” Prince Ippolit enunciated, and he stared through his eyeglass at his elevated legs.

Bilibin and les nôtres roared, looking Ippolit straight in the face. Prince Andrey saw that this Ippolit, of whom—he could not disguise it from himself—he had been almost jealous on his wife's account, was the butt of this set.

“No, I must entertain you with a specimen of Kuragin,” said Bilibin aside to Bolkonsky. “He's exquisite, when he airs his views upon politics; you must see his gravity.”

He sat down by Ippolit, and, wrinkling up his forehead, began talking to him about politics. Prince Andrey and the others stood round the two.

“The Berlin cabinet cannot express a feeling of alliance,” Ippolit began, looking consequentially round at all of them, “without expressing…as in its last note…you understand…you understand…and besides, if his Majesty the Emperor does not give up the principle of our alliance.”

“Wait, I have not finished,” he said to Prince Andrey, taking him by the arm. “I suppose that intervention will be stronger than non-intervention. And…” He paused. “Our dispatch of the 28th of November cannot be reckoned as an exception. That is how it will all end.” And he dropped Bolkonsky's arm as a sign that he had now quite concluded.

“Demosthenes, I recognise you by the pebble that you hide in your golden mouth,” said Bilibin, whose thick thatch of hair moved forward on his head from the puckering of his brows with delight.

Every one laughed. Ippolit laughed louder than any. He was visibly distressed; he breathed painfully, but he could not help breaking into a savage laugh, that convulsed his usually impassive face.

“Well now, gentlemen,” said Bilibin, “Bolkonsky is my guest here in Bränn and I want to show him, as far as I can, all the attractions of our life here. If we were in Vienna, it would be easy enough; but here, in this vile Moravian hole, it is more difficult, and I beg you all for assistance. We must do him the honour of Bränn. You undertake the theatre and I will undertake society; you, Ippolit, of course, the ladies.”

“We ought to let him see Amélie; she's exquisite!” said one of les nôtres. kissing his finger-tips.

“Altogether,” said Bilibin, “we must turn this bloodthirsty rnan to more humane interests.”

“I fear I can hardly take advantage of your hospitality, gentlemen; it's time I was off even now,” said Bolkonsky, glancing at his watch.

“Where to?”

“To the Emperor!”

“Oh! oh! oh!”

“Well, au revoir, Bolkonsky! Au revoir, prince! Come early to dinner,” said voices. “We reckon upon you.”

“Try to make the most of the good discipline of the troops, in the provisioning of supplies and on the lines of march, when you talk to the Emperor,” said Bilibin, accompanying Bolkonsky to the hall.

“I should like to speak well of it, but as far as my observation goes, I can't,” answered Bolkonsky, smiling.

“Well, talk as much as you can, any way. Audiences are his passion, but he doesn't like talking himself, and can't talk either, as you will see.”
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:38:02
第十一章

英文

翌日,他醒来得很迟。重温着往日的印象,首先想到今日要朝拜弗朗茨皇帝,想起军政大臣、恭恭敬敬的侍从武官、比利宾和昨日夜晚的闲谈。他要去朝拜,便穿上一套许久未穿的检阅服装,精神焕发,兴致勃勃,姿态亦优美,一只手绑着绷带,走进比利宾的书斋。书斋里有四个外交使团的绅士模样的人。博尔孔斯基认识公使馆的秘书伊波利特·库拉金公爵,比利宾介绍其余三个人和他相识。

经常到比利宾这里来的绅士派头的人都是一些年轻、家境富裕、快活的上层社会人士,他们无论在维也纳,还是在此地都结成一个独立的团体,这个团体的头头比利宾把它称为自己人(lesnotres)。这个几乎主要是由外交官构成的团体,看来有自己所固有的与战争和政治毫无关系的兴趣,这个团体对上层社会、对一些女士的态度和公务很感兴趣。看起来,这些有绅士派头的人都乐意吸收安德烈公爵加入他们的团体,认为他是自己人(他们对少数几个人表示尊敬)。因为人们尊敬他,才向他提出几个有关军队和战役的问题,以此作为话题。随即又闲谈起来,话里头夹杂着许多乱七八糟的笑话,而且议论他人的长短。

“不过这是件特别好的事,”有个人讲到外交官中一个同僚的失败时,说道,“其所以是件特别好的事,是因为奥国首相坦率地告诉他:他去伦敦上任是一种晋升,要他能这样看待这件事。你们能臆想得出他这时的模样吗?……”

“诸君,不过最糟的是,我要向你们揭发库拉金;有个人处于逆境,他这个唐璜却借机滋事。这个人多么可怕啊!”

伊波利特公爵躺在一把伏尔泰椅上,一双脚跷在扶手上,大笑起来。

“Parlez—moideca,”①他说道。

①法语:喂,您讲讲吧,喂,您讲讲吧。

②法语:女人是男人的伴侣。

“啊,唐璜!啊!一条毒蛇。”听见几个人异口同声地说。

“博尔孔斯基,您不知道,”比利宾把脸转向安德烈公爵说道,“法国军队的诸多可怖(我险些儿说成俄国军队)比起这个人在女人中间干的勾当来是算不了一回事的。”

“Lafemmeestlacompagnedel'homme,”②伊波利特公爵说道,开始戴上单目眼镜观看他那双架起来的脚。

比利宾和自己人注视伊波利特的眼睛时哈哈大笑起来。安德烈公爵看到,这个伊波利特是这个团体的丑角,他(应当承认)几乎因为伊波利特和妻子相好而感到醋意。

“不,我要请您品味一下库拉金,”比利宾对博尔孔斯基轻声地说,“他议论政治时很会盅惑人心,要看看这副傲慢的样子。”

他在伊波利特近旁坐下来,皱起额头,和他谈论有关政治的问题。安德烈公爵和其他人都站在他们二人周围。

“LecabinetdeBerlinnepeutpasexprimerunsentiB

mentd'alliance,”伊波利特意味深长地环顾众人,开始发言,“sansexprimer…commedanssadernierenote…vouscomprenez…vouscomprenez…etpuissisaMajestél'empereurnedérogepasauprincipedenotrealliance…”①

“Attendez,jen'aipasfini…”他一把抓住安德烈公爵的手,说道,“jesupposequel'interventionseraplusfortequelanon—intervention,Et…”他沉默片刻,“Onnepourrapasimputeràlafindenon-recevoirnotredépêchedu28novembreVoilàcom-menttoutcelafinira.”②他松开博尔孔斯基的手,以此表示,他的话讲完了。“Demosthènes,jetereconnaisaucaillouquetuascachédanstabouched'or!”③

比利宾说道,他高兴得一头的头发都散开了。

大家都笑了起来。伊波利特的笑声最响亮。看起来,他气喘吁吁,觉得不好受,但是他没法忍住,发出一阵狂笑,好像拉长了他那一向显得呆板的面孔似的。

“喂,诸位,原来是这么回事,”比利宾说道,“无论在这栋屋里,还是在布吕恩,博尔孔斯基总是我的客人,我要尽可能让他饱尝一番本地生活上的乐趣。如果在维也纳,那是容易办到的事。可是在这里,danscevilaintroumorave④,就更难办了,因此,我向你们大家求援。ⅡfautluifaiveleshonBneursdeBrtinn,⑤看戏的事由你们负责,社团的事由我承担,伊波利特,不消说,应酬女人的事由您主持好了。”

①法语:柏林内阁不能表示它对联盟的意见,在最近的照会中……没有表示……其实,你们明白,你们明白……如果皇帝陛下不改变我们联盟的实质……

②法语:等一等,我还没有讲完……我想,干涉比不干涉更稳妥。而且,……

不可能认为,问题就在于完全不接受我方十一月二十八日的紧急报告……其结局必将是这样的。

③法语:德摩西尼,我凭你放在你那金口中的石头就能把你认出来。

④法语:在这令人厌恶的摩拉维亚山洞中。

⑤法语:就应当请他饱尝一番布吕恩的风味。

“应当请他瞧瞧阿梅莉,真是美不胜言!”一个自己人吻着自己的指头尖,说道。

“总而言之,应当让这个嗜血成性的士兵倾向仁爱的观点。”比利宾说道。

“诸位,我未必能够享受你们的款待,我现在应该走了。”

博尔孔斯基看着表,说道。

“上哪里去呢?”

“去朝拜皇帝。”

“啊,啊!啊!”

“嗬!博尔孔斯基,再见!公爵,再见!早点回来用午餐,”

可以听见几个人异口同声地说,“我们来应付您了。”

“当您和皇帝谈话时,请尽量夸奖军粮供应的措施和适宜的行进路线的分布。”比利宾把博尔孔斯基送到接待室时,说道。

“我心里本想,知道多少就夸奖多少,可是办不到。”博尔孔斯基面露微笑,答道。

“嗯,总之要尽量多说点。他很喜欢接见人,可是他本人不喜欢讲话,也不善于讲话,以后您会知道的。”
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:38:45
CHAPTER XII

Chinese

AT THE LEVÉE the Emperor Francis only looked intently into Prince Andrey's face, and nodded his long head to him as he stood in the place assigned him among the Austrian officers. But after the levée the adjutant of the previous evening ceremoniously communicated to Bolkonsky the Emperor's desire to give him an audience. The Emperor Francis received him, standing in the middle of the room. Prince Andrey was struck by the fact that before beginning the conversation, the Emperor seemed embarrassed, didn't know what to say, and reddened.

“Tell me when the battle began,” he asked hurriedly. Prince Andrey answered. The question was followed by others, as simple: “Was Kutuzov well?” “How long was it since he left Krems?” and so on. The Emperor spoke as though his sole aim was to put a certain number of questions. The answers to these questions, as was only too evident, could have no interest for him.

“At what o'clock did the battle begin?” asked the Emperor.

“I cannot inform your majesty at what o'clock the battle began in the front lines, but at Därenstein, where I was, the troops began the attack about six in the evening,” said Bolkonsky, growing more eager, and conceiving that now there was a chance for him to give an accurate description, just as he had it ready in his head, of all he knew and had seen. But the Emperor smiled and interrupted him:

“How many miles?”

“From where to where, your majesty?”

“From Därenstein to Krems?”

“Three and a half miles, your majesty.”

“The French abandoned the left bank?”

“As our scouts reported, the last crossed the river on rafts in the night.”

“Have you enough provisions at Krems?”

“Provisions have not been furnished to the amount…”

The Emperor interrupted him:

“At what o'clock was General Schmidt killed?”

“At seven o'clock, I think.”

“At seven o'clock? Very sad! very sad!”

The Emperor said that he thanked him, and bowed. Prince Andrey withdrew, and was at once surrounded by courtiers on all sides. Everywhere he saw friendly eyes gazing at him, and heard friendly voices addressing him. The adjutant of the preceding evening reproached him for not having stopped at the palace, and offered him his own house. The minister of war came up and congratulated him on the Order of Maria Theresa of the third grade, with which the Emperor was presenting him. The Empress's chamberlain invited him to her majesty. The archduchess, too, wished to see him. He did not know whom to answer, and for a few seconds he was trying to collect his ideas. The Russian ambassador took him by the shoulder, led him away to a window, and began to talk to him.

Contrary to Bilibin's prognostications, the news he brought was received with rejoicing. A thanksgiving service was arranged. Kutuzov was decorated with the great cross of Maria Theresa, and rewards were bestowed on the whole army. Bolkonsky received invitations on all hands, and had to spend the whole morning paying visits to the principal personages in the Austrian Government. After paying his visits, Prince Andrey, at five o'clock in the evening, was returning homewards to Bilibin's, mentally composing a letter to his father about the battle and his reception at Bränn. At the steps of Bilibin's house stood a cart packed half full of things, and Franz, Bilibin's servant, came out of the doorway, with difficulty dragging a travelling-trunk.

Before going back to Bilibin's Prince Andrey had driven to a book-seller's to lay in a stock of books for the campaign, and had spent some time in the shop.

“What is it?” asked Bolkonsky.

“Ah, your excellency!” said Franz, with some exertion rolling the trunk on the cart. “We are to move on still farther. The scoundrel is already at our heels again!”

“Eh? what?” queried Prince Andrey.

Bilibin came out to meet Bolkonsky. His ordinarily composed face looked excited.

“No, no, confess that this is charming,” he said, “this story of the bridge of Tabor. They have crossed it without striking a blow.”

Prince Andrey could not understand.

“Why, where do you come from not to know what every coachman in the town knows by now?”

“I come from the archduchess. I heard nothing there.”

“And didn't you see that people are packing up everywhere?”

“I have seen nothing … But what's the matter?” Prince Andrey asked impatiently.

“What's the matter? The matter is that the French have crossed the bridge that Auersperg was defending, and they haven't blown up the bridge, so that Murat is at this moment running along the road to Bränn, and to-day or to-morrow they'll be here.”
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:42:37
“Here? But how is it the bridge wasn't blown up, since it was mined?”

“Why, that's what I ask you. No one—not Bonaparte himself—can tell why.” Bolkonsky shrugged his shoulders.

“But if they have crossed the bridge, then it will be all over with the army; it will be cut off,” he said.

“That's the whole point,” answered Bilibin. “Listen. The French enter Vienna, as I told you. Everything is satisfactory. Next day, that is yesterday, Messieurs les Maréchaux, Murat, Lannes, and Beliard get on their horses and ride off to the bridge. (Remark that all three are Gascons.) ‘Gentlemen,' says one, ‘you know that the Tabor bridge has been mined and countermined, and is protected by a formidable fortification and fifteen thousand troops, who have orders to blow up the bridge and not to let us pass. But our gracious Emperor Napoleon will be pleased if we take the bridge. Let us go us there and take it.' ‘Yes, let us go,' say the others; and they start off and take the bridge, cross it, and now with their whole army on this side of the Danube, they are coming straight upon us, and upon you and your communications.”

“Leave off jesting,” said Prince Andrey, with mournful seriousness. The news grieved Prince Andrey, and yet it gave him pleasure. As soon as he heard that the Russian army was in such a hopeless position, the idea struck him that he was the very man destined to extricate the Russian army from that position, and that it had come—the Toulon—that would lift him for ever from out of the ranks of unknown officers, and open the first path to glory for him! As he listened to Bilibin, he was already considering how, on reaching the army, he would, at a council of war, give the opinion that alone could save the army, and how he would be entrusted alone to execute the plan.

“Leave off joking,” he said.

“I'm not joking,” Bilibin went on. “Nothing could be more truthful or more melancholy. These three gentlemen advance to the bridge alone and wave white handkerchiefs; they declare that it's a truce, and that they, the marshals, are come for a parley with Prince Auersperg. The officer on duty lets them into the tête du pont. They tell him a thousand Gascon absurdities; say that the war is over, that Emperor Francis has arranged a meeting with Bonaparte, that they desire to see Prince Auersperg, and so on. The officer sends for Auersperg. These Gascon gentlemen embrace the officers, make jokes, and sit about on the cannons, while a French battalion meantime advances unnoticed on the bridge, flings the sacks of inflammable material into the river, and marches up to the tête du pont. Finally the lieutenant-general himself appears, our dear Prince Auersperg von Mautern. ‘My dear enemy! Flower of Austrian chivalry! hero of the Turkish war! Hostility is at end, we can take each other's hands … the Emperor Napoleon burns with impatience to make the acquaintance of Prince Auersperg.' In a word, these gentlemen—not Gascons for nothing—so bewilder Auersperg with fair words—he is so flattered at this speedy intimacy with French marshals, so dazzled by the spectacle of their cloaks, and of the ostrich feathers of Murat—that their fire gets into his eyes and makes him forget that he ought to be firing on the enemy” (in spite of the interest of his story, Bilibin did not omit to pause after this mot, to give time for its appreciation). “A French battalion runs into the tête du pont, spikes the cannons, and the bridge is taken. No, but really the best part of the whole episode,” he went on, his excitement subsiding under the interest of his own story, “is that the sergeant in charge of the cannon which was to give the signal for firing the mines and blowing up the bridge, this sergeant seeing the French troops running on to the bridge wanted to fire, but Lannes pulled his arm away. The sergeant, who seems to have been sharper than his general, goes up to Auersperg and says: ‘Prince, they're deceiving you, here are the French!' Murat sees the game is up if he lets the sergeant have his say. With an affectation of surprise (a true Gascon!) he addresses Auersperg: ‘Is this the Austrian discipline so highly extolled all over the world,' says he, ‘do you let a man of low rank speak to you like this?' It was a stroke of genius. The Prince of Auersperg is touched in his honour and has the sergeant put under arrest. No, but confess that all this story of the bridge of Tabor is charming. It is neither stupidity, nor cowardice …”

“It is treason, perhaps,” said Prince Andrey, vividly picturing to himself grey overcoats, wounds, the smoke and sound of firing, and the glory awaiting him.

“Not that either. This puts the court into a pretty pickle,” pursued Bilibin. “It is not treason, nor cowardice, nor stupidity; it is just as it was at Ulm …” He seemed to ponder, seeking the phrase, “it is … c'est du Mack. Nous sommes mackés,” he said, feeling he was uttering un mot, and a fresh one, one that would be repeated. His creased-up brows let the puckers smooth out quickly in sign of satisfaction, and with a faint smile he fell to scrutinizing his finger-nails.

“Where are you off to?” he said, suddenly turning to Prince Andrey, who had got up and was going to his room.

“I must start.”

“Where to?”

“To the army.”

“But you meant to stay another two days?”

“But now I am going at once”; and Prince Andrey, after a few words arranging about his journey, went to his room.

“Do you know, my dear boy,” said Bilibin, coming into his room, “I have been thinking about you. What are you going for?” And in support of the irrefutability of his arguments on the subject, all the creases ran off his face.

Prince Andrey looked inquiringly at him and made no reply.

“Why are you going? I know you consider that it's your duty to gallop off to the army now that the army is in danger. I understand that, my boy, it's heroism.”

“Nothing of the kind,” said Prince Andrey.

“But you are un philosophe, be one fully, look at things from the other side, and you will see that it is your duty, on the contrary, to take care of yourself. Leave that to others who are no good for anything else … You have received no orders to go back, and you are not dismissed from here, so that you can remain and go with us, where our ill-luck takes us. They say they are going to Olmätz. And Olmätz is a very charming town. And we can travel there comfortably together in my carriage.”

“That's enough joking, Bilibin,” said Bolkonsky.

“I am speaking to you sincerely as a friend. Consider where are you going and with what object now, when you can stay here. You have two alternatives before you” (he puckered up the skin of his left temple) “either you won't reach the army before peace will be concluded, or you will share the defeat and disgrace with Kutuzov's whole army.” And Bilibin let his brow go smooth again, feeling that his dilemma was beyond attack.

“That I can't enter into,” said Prince Andrey coldly, but he thought: “I am going to save the army.”

“My dear fellow, you are a hero,” said Bilibin
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:42:55
第十二章

英文

翌日,他醒来得很迟。重温着往日的印象,首先想到今日要朝拜弗朗茨皇帝,想起军政大臣、恭恭敬敬的侍从武官、比利宾和昨日夜晚的闲谈。他要去朝拜,便穿上一套许久未穿的检阅服装,精神焕发,兴致勃勃,姿态亦优美,一只手绑着绷带,走进比利宾的书斋。书斋里有四个外交使团的绅士模样的人。博尔孔斯基认识公使馆的秘书伊波利特·库拉金公爵,比利宾介绍其余三个人和他相识。

经常到比利宾这里来的绅士派头的人都是一些年轻、家境富裕、快活的上层社会人士,他们无论在维也纳,还是在此地都结成一个独立的团体,这个团体的头头比利宾把它称为自己人(lesnotres)。这个几乎主要是由外交官构成的团体,看来有自己所固有的与战争和政治毫无关系的兴趣,这个团体对上层社会、对一些女士的态度和公务很感兴趣。看起来,这些有绅士派头的人都乐意吸收安德烈公爵加入他们的团体,认为他是自己人(他们对少数几个人表示尊敬)。因为人们尊敬他,才向他提出几个有关军队和战役的问题,以此作为话题。随即又闲谈起来,话里头夹杂着许多乱七八糟的笑话,而且议论他人的长短。

“不过这是件特别好的事,”有个人讲到外交官中一个同僚的失败时,说道,“其所以是件特别好的事,是因为奥国首相坦率地告诉他:他去伦敦上任是一种晋升,要他能这样看待这件事。你们能臆想得出他这时的模样吗?……”

“诸君,不过最糟的是,我要向你们揭发库拉金;有个人处于逆境,他这个唐璜却借机滋事。这个人多么可怕啊!”

伊波利特公爵躺在一把伏尔泰椅上,一双脚跷在扶手上,大笑起来。

“Parlez—moideca,”①他说道。

①法语:喂,您讲讲吧,喂,您讲讲吧。

②法语:女人是男人的伴侣。

“啊,唐璜!啊!一条毒蛇。”听见几个人异口同声地说。

“博尔孔斯基,您不知道,”比利宾把脸转向安德烈公爵说道,“法国军队的诸多可怖(我险些儿说成俄国军队)比起这个人在女人中间干的勾当来是算不了一回事的。”

“Lafemmeestlacompagnedel'homme,”②伊波利特公爵说道,开始戴上单目眼镜观看他那双架起来的脚。

比利宾和自己人注视伊波利特的眼睛时哈哈大笑起来。安德烈公爵看到,这个伊波利特是这个团体的丑角,他(应当承认)几乎因为伊波利特和妻子相好而感到醋意。

“不,我要请您品味一下库拉金,”比利宾对博尔孔斯基轻声地说,“他议论政治时很会盅惑人心,要看看这副傲慢的样子。”

他在伊波利特近旁坐下来,皱起额头,和他谈论有关政治的问题。安德烈公爵和其他人都站在他们二人周围。

“LecabinetdeBerlinnepeutpasexprimerunsentiB

mentd'alliance,”伊波利特意味深长地环顾众人,开始发言,“sansexprimer…commedanssadernierenote…vouscomprenez…vouscomprenez…etpuissisaMajestél'empereurnedérogepasauprincipedenotrealliance…”①

“Attendez,jen'aipasfini…”他一把抓住安德烈公爵的手,说道,“jesupposequel'interventionseraplusfortequelanon—intervention,Et…”他沉默片刻,“Onnepourrapasimputeràlafindenon-recevoirnotredépêchedu28novembreVoilàcom-menttoutcelafinira.”②他松开博尔孔斯基的手,以此表示,他的话讲完了。“Demosthènes,jetereconnaisaucaillouquetuascachédanstabouched'or!”③

比利宾说道,他高兴得一头的头发都散开了。

大家都笑了起来。伊波利特的笑声最响亮。看起来,他气喘吁吁,觉得不好受,但是他没法忍住,发出一阵狂笑,好像拉长了他那一向显得呆板的面孔似的。

“喂,诸位,原来是这么回事,”比利宾说道,“无论在这栋屋里,还是在布吕恩,博尔孔斯基总是我的客人,我要尽可能让他饱尝一番本地生活上的乐趣。如果在维也纳,那是容易办到的事。可是在这里,danscevilaintroumorave④,就更难办了,因此,我向你们大家求援。ⅡfautluifaiveleshonBneursdeBrtinn,⑤看戏的事由你们负责,社团的事由我承担,伊波利特,不消说,应酬女人的事由您主持好了。”

①法语:柏林内阁不能表示它对联盟的意见,在最近的照会中……没有表示……其实,你们明白,你们明白……如果皇帝陛下不改变我们联盟的实质……

②法语:等一等,我还没有讲完……我想,干涉比不干涉更稳妥。而且,……

不可能认为,问题就在于完全不接受我方十一月二十八日的紧急报告……其结局必将是这样的。

③法语:德摩西尼,我凭你放在你那金口中的石头就能把你认出来。

④法语:在这令人厌恶的摩拉维亚山洞中。

⑤法语:就应当请他饱尝一番布吕恩的风味。

“应当请他瞧瞧阿梅莉,真是美不胜言!”一个自己人吻着自己的指头尖,说道。

“总而言之,应当让这个嗜血成性的士兵倾向仁爱的观点。”比利宾说道。

“诸位,我未必能够享受你们的款待,我现在应该走了。”

博尔孔斯基看着表,说道。

“上哪里去呢?”

“去朝拜皇帝。”

“啊,啊!啊!”

“嗬!博尔孔斯基,再见!公爵,再见!早点回来用午餐,”

可以听见几个人异口同声地说,“我们来应付您了。”

“当您和皇帝谈话时,请尽量夸奖军粮供应的措施和适宜的行进路线的分布。”比利宾把博尔孔斯基送到接待室时,说道。

“我心里本想,知道多少就夸奖多少,可是办不到。”博尔孔斯基面露微笑,答道。

“嗯,总之要尽量多说点。他很喜欢接见人,可是他本人不喜欢讲话,也不善于讲话,以后您会知道的。”
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:43:55
CHAPTER XIII

Chinese

THE SAME NIGHT, after taking leave of the minister of war, Bolkonsky set off to join the army, not knowing where he should find it, at the risk of being caught by the French on the way to Krems.

At Bränn all the court and every one connected with it was packing up, and the heavy baggage was already being despatched to Olmätz. Near Esselsdorf, Prince Andrey came out on the road along which the Russian army was moving in the utmost haste and in the greatest disorder. The road was so obstructed with baggage-waggons that it was impossible to get by in a carriage. Prince Andrey procured a horse and a Cossack from the officer in command of the Cossacks, and hungry and weary he threaded his way in and out between the waggons and rode in search of the commander-in-chief and his own luggage. The most sinister rumours as to the position of the army reached him on the road, and the appearance of the army fleeing in disorder confirmed these rumours.

“As for that Russian army which English gold has brought from the ends of the universe, we are going to inflict upon it the same fate (the fate of the army of Ulm)”; he remembered the words of Bonaparte's address to his army at the beginning of the campaign, and these words aroused in him simultaneously admiration for the genius of his hero, a feeling of mortified pride, and the hope of glory. “And if there's nothing left but to die?” he thought. “Well, if it must be! I will do it no worse than others.”

Prince Andrey looked disdainfully at the endless, confused mass of companies, of baggage-waggons, parks of artillery, and again store-waggons, carts, and waggons of every possible form, pursuing one another and obstructing the muddy road three and four abreast. On every side, behind and before, as far as the ear could reach in every direction there was the rumble of wheels, the rattle of carts, of waggons, and of gun-carriages, the tramp of horses, the crack of whips, the shouts of drivers, the swearing of soldiers, of orderlies, and officers. At the sides of the roads he saw fallen horses, and sometimes their skinned carcases, broken-down waggons, with solitary soldiers sitting on them, waiting for something, detached groups of soldiers strayed from their companies, starting off to neighbouring villages, or dragging back from them fowls, sheep, hay, or sacks of stores of some sort. Where the road went uphill or downhill the crush became greater, and there was an uninterrupted roar of shouts. The soldiers floundering knee-deep in the mud clutched the guns and clung to the waggons in the midst of cracking whips, slipping hoofs, breaking traces and throat-splitting yells. The officers superintending their movements rode to and fro in front and behind the convoys. Their voices were faintly audible in the midst of the general uproar, their faces betrayed that they despaired of the possibility of checking the disorder.

“Voilà le cher holy armament,” thought Bolkonsky, recalling Bilibin's words.

He rode up to a convoy, intending to ask of some one of these men where he could find the commander-in-chief. Directly opposite to him came a strange vehicle, with one horse, obviously rigged up by soldiers with the resources at their disposal, and looking like something between a cart, a cabriolet, and a coach. A soldier was driving it, and under the leathern tilt behind a cover sat a woman, muffled up in shawls. Prince Andrey rode up and was just addressing a question to the soldier, when his attention was taken off by the despairing shrieks of the woman in this conveyance. The officer, directing the traffic, aimed a blow at the soldier who sat in the coachman's seat, for trying to push in ahead of others, and the lash fell on the cover of the equipage. The woman shrieked shrilly. On catching sight of Prince Andrey, she looked out from under the cover and putting her thin arms out from the shawls and waving them, she screamed:

“Adjutant! sir! … For God's sake! … protect me. … What will happen to us? … I am the wife of the doctor of the Seventh Chasseurs … they won't let us pass, we have dropped behind, lost our own people. …”

“I'll thrash you into mincemeat! turn back!” shouted the exasperated officer to the soldier: “turn back with your hussy!”

“Sir, protect us. What does it mean?” screamed the doctor's wife.

“Kindly let this cart get through. Don't you see that it is a woman?” said Prince Andrey, riding up to the officer.

The officer glanced at him, and without making any reply turned again to the soldier. “I'll teach you how to push in. … Back! …”

“Let it pass, I tell you,” repeated Prince Andrey, setting his lips tightly.

“And who are you?” cried the officer, turning upon him suddenly with drunken fury. “Who are you? Are you” (he put a peculiarly offensive intonation into the word) “in command, pray? I'm commanding officer here, not you. Back you go,” he repeated, “or I'll lash you into mincemeat.” The expression evidently pleased the officer.

“A nice snub he gave the little adjutant,” said a voice in the background.

Prince Andrey saw that the officer was in that stage of drunken unreasoning fury, when men do not remember what they say. He saw that his championship of the doctor's wife in the queer conveyance was exposing him to what he dreaded more than anything else in the world, what is called in French ridicule, but his instinct said something else. The officer had hardly uttered the last words when Prince Andrey rode up to him with a face distorted by frenzied anger, and raised his riding-whip: “Let—them—pass!”

The officer flourished his arm and hurriedly rode away.

“It's all their doing, these staff-officers, all the disorder,” he grumbled. “Do as you like.”

Prince Andrey, without lifting his eyes, made haste to escape from the doctor's wife, who called him her deliverer. And dwelling on the minutest detail of this humiliating scene with loathing, he galloped on towards the village, where he was told that the commander-in-chief was.

On reaching the village, he got off his horse, and went into the first house with the intention of resting for a moment at least, eating something, and getting all the mortifying impressions that were torturing him into some clear shape. “This is a mob of scoundrels, not an army,” he thought, going up to the window of the first house, when a familiar voice called him by his name.

He looked round. Out of a little window was thrust the handsome face of Nesvitsky. Nesvitsky, munching something in his moist mouth and beckoning to him, called him in.

“Bolkonsky! Bolkonsky! Don't you hear, eh? Make haste,” he shouted.

Going into the house, Prince Andrey found Nesvitsky and another adjutant having a meal. They hastily turned to Bolkonsky with the inquiry, had he any news? On their familiar faces Prince Andrey read alarm and uneasiness. That expression was particularly noticeable in Nesvitsky's face, usually so full of laughter.

“Where is the commander-in-chief?” asked Bolkonsky.

“Here in this house,” answered the adjutant.

“Well, is it true, about the peace and capitulation?” asked Nesvitsky.

“I ask you. I know nothing except that I have had great difficulty in getting through to you.”

“And the things that have been going on, my boy! Awful! I was wrong to laugh at Mack; there's worse in store for us,” said Nesvitsky. “But sit down, have something to eat.”
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:44:29
第十三章

英文

就是在那天夜晚,博尔孔斯基向军政大臣辞行之后,便乘车向部队走去,连自己也不知道,在什么地方能够找到部队。还担心在前往克雷姆斯的途中会被法国人截住。

布吕恩朝廷的上上下下都在收拾行装,沉重的物件都已运到奥尔米茨。在埃采尔斯多夫附近的某地,安德烈公爵驶行到大马路上。俄国军队极其忙乱地沿着这条大路前进。这条路上塞满了形形色色的车辆,以致轻便马车无法通行。安德烈公爵饥肠辘辘,倦容满面,他向哥萨克长官雇了一匹马和一名哥萨克兵,赶到车队前面去寻找总司令和自己的马车。途中向他传来俄国军队进退维谷的消息,军队不遵守秩序、擅自逃跑的情状证实了这些马路消息。

“Cettearméerussequel'ordel'Angleterrea

transportéedesextrémitésdel'univers,nousallonsluifaireéprouverlememesort(lesortdel'arméea'ulm).”①他回想起波拿巴在战役开始之前向军队发布的命令中所说的话,这些话同样使他对天才的英雄感到惊奇,激起屈辱的自豪感和沽名钓誉的希望。“假如除阵亡而外,一无所存,怎么办呢?”他想道,“既然有必要,也没有什么!我会处理得比别人更出色。”

①法语:我们要迫使英国的黄金自天涯海角运送来的这支俄国军队遭受同样的厄运(乌尔姆军队的厄运)。

安德烈公爵鄙夷地望着这些川流不息的混乱的队列、马车、辎重队、炮兵,又是马车、马车、各色各样的马车,后车追赶前车,排成三行、四行,堵塞着泥泞的道路。从四面八方,前前后后,听力所及之处,传来车轮的辚辚声、轻便马车车厢、普通大车和炮架的隆隆声、马蹄得得的声音、马鞭哒哒的响声、催马的吆喝声、士兵、勤务兵和军官的咒骂声。道路的两边时而不停地望见剥去外皮和尚未剥去外皮的倒毙的马匹,时而望见被破坏的马车,一些散兵游勇坐在马车旁等待着什么,时而望见一些脱离队伍的士兵,他们成群结队地向邻近的村庄走去,或者从村里拖出若干只母鸡、公羊、干草或一些装满着物品的布袋。在上下坡的地方,人群显得更加密集,不停地听见哼叫的声音。士兵们陷入齐膝深的泥泞中,双手抬着炮身,扶着带篷大车;马鞭不停地抽挞,马蹄滑动着;套索眼看就要破裂,他们拼命地吼叫,叫痛了胸口。指挥车马运行的军官们在车队中间时而向前、时而向后地驶行。在众人的嘈杂声中可以隐约地听见他们的说话声,从他们脸上看出,他们已经丧失制止混乱的希望了。

“Voilalecher①东正教军队。”博尔孔斯基回忆起比利宾的话时,思忖了一下。

①法语:看,这就是可爱的……

他驶近车队,欲向这些人中的任何一个打听总司令的下落。一辆稀奇古怪的单马轻便马车从他对面直奔而来,很明显这是一辆士兵家庭集资制造的式样介乎普通大车、单马双轮轻便车和四轮马车之间的马车。士兵驾驶着马车,一个妇女坐在皮革车篷底下的挡布后面,她满头缠着围巾。安德烈公爵向他们前面驶来,这个坐在带篷马车中的妇女拼命地喊叫,引起了他的注意,这时候他便问问那个士兵。一名坐在这辆马车上充当车夫的士兵很想赶到前面去,指挥车队的军官揍他一顿,皮鞭子不断地落在带篷马车的挡布上。这个妇女尖声地叫喊。她看见了安德烈公爵,便从挡布后面探出身子,一面挥动着从地毯似的围巾后面伸出来的瘦骨嶙峋的手臂,嚷道:

“副官!副官先生!…看在上帝面上……救救我吧…这会闹成啥样子?…我是第七猎骑兵团军医的妻子……不放我们过去:我们就落在后面,自己的人都失散了……”

“我真要把你砸成薄饼,你转回头去!”凶恶的军官对士兵喊道,“你跟你的邋遢女人转回头去。”

“副官先生,救救我吧!这是什么世道?”军医的妻子喊道。

“请您让这辆马车通行。您难道看不见这是妇女吗?”安德烈驶至军官面前,说道。

军官瞟了他一眼,没有回答,又把脸转向士兵,说道:

“我要绕到前面去……你后退吧!”

“让这辆马车通行,我跟您说。”安德烈公爵瘪着嘴唇,又重复地说了一句。

“你是什么人?”这名军官忽然摆出一副发酒疯的样子对他说,“你是什么人?(他特别强调“你”的重音)是长官,是不是?这里的长官是我,而不是你。你退回去吧,”他重说一遍,“我真要把你砸成薄饼。”

看起来,这名军官更喜欢这句口头禅。

“他很傲慢地把小副官的话顶回去了。”从后面传来话语声。

安德烈公爵看见,军官喝醉酒似地无缘无故地发狂,人通常处于这种状态会不记得自己所说的话的。他又看见,他庇护坐在马车上的军医太太,定会使人感到,这是世界上一件最可怕的事,这会变成所谓的ridicule①,但是他的本能使他产生别的情感。军官还没有来得及把最后一句话说完,安德烈公爵便狂暴得扭曲了面孔,走到他跟前,举起了马鞭:

“请您让这辆马车通行吧!”

①法语:笑料。

军官挥挥手,急忙走到一边去。

“这些司令部的人员把什么都搞得乱七八糟,”他唠叨地说,“您要干什么,听您的便吧。”

安德烈公爵没有抬起眼睛,匆匆忙忙地从那个把他叫做救星的军医太太身边走开,向人家告诉他的总司令驻扎的村庄疾驰而去,一面厌恶地想到这种有伤自尊心的争执的详情细节。

他驶入村庄,翻身下马,向第一栋住宅走去,心里想要休息片刻,吃点什么,澄清一下令人屈辱的折磨他的想法。

“这是一群坏蛋,而不是军队。”他想道,向第一栋住宅的窗口走去,这时候一个熟人喊出了他的名字。

他回头一看,涅斯维茨基的清秀的面孔从那小小的窗口探了出来。涅斯维茨基用那红阔的嘴咀嚼着什么食物,一面挥动着手臂,把他喊到身边去。

“博尔孔斯基,博尔孔斯基!你听不见,是不是?快点来吧。”他喊道。

安德烈公爵走进住宅,看见正在就餐的涅斯维茨基和另一名副官。他们急忙地询问博尔孔斯基,他是否获悉什么新闻?安德烈公爵从他很熟悉的他们的脸上看出了惊惶不安的神色。这种神色在向来流露笑意的涅斯维茨基的脸上特别引人注目。

“总司令在哪里?”博尔孔斯基发问。

“是在这里,在那栋住宅里。”副官答道。

“啊,说实在话,媾和与投降,都没有什么,是吗?”涅斯维茨基问道。

“我正在问您。我什么也不知道,只是很费劲地才走到你们这里来。”

“老兄,我们这里怎么啦!不得了!老兄,我认罪;大家嘲笑过马克,可是我们自己搞得更糟了,”涅斯维茨基说道,“你坐下,吃点什么吧。”
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:45:03
“You won't find your baggage or anything now, prince, and God knows what's become of your Pyotr,” said the other adjutant.

“Where are the headquarters?”

“We shall spend the night in Znaim.”

“Well, I got everything I wanted packed up on two horses,” said Nesvitsky; “and capital packs they made for me, fit to scamper as far as the Bohemian mountains at least. Things are in a bad way, my boy. But, I say, you must be ill, shivering like that?” Nesvitsky queried, noticing how Prince Andrey shuddered, as though in contact with a galvanic battery.

“No; I'm all right,” answered Prince Andrey. He had recalled at that instant the incident with the doctor's wife and the transport officer.

“What is the commander-in-chief doing here?” he asked.

“I can't make out anything,” said Nesvitsky.

“I know one thing, that it's all loathsome, loathsome, loathsome,” said Prince Andrey, and he went into the house where the commander-in-chief was stopping.

Passing by Kutuzov's carriage, the exhausted saddle-horses of his suite, and the Cossacks talking loudly together, Prince Andrey went into the outer room. Kutuzov himself was, as Prince Andrey had been told, in the inner room of the hut with Prince Bagration and Weierother. The latter was the Austrian general, who had taken Schmidt's place. In the outer room little Kozlovsky was squatting on his heels in front of a copying-clerk. The latter was sitting on a tub turned upside down, he was writing rapidly with the cuffs of his uniform tucked up. Kozlovsky's face was careworn; he too looked as if he had not slept all night. He glanced at Prince Andrey, and did not even nod to him.

“The second line.… Ready?” he went on, dictating to the clerk: “the Kiev Grenadiers, the Podolsky …”

“Don't be in such a hurry, your honour,” the clerk answered rudely and angrily, looking at Kozlovsky. Through the door he heard at that moment Kutuzov's voice, eager and dissatisfied, and other unfamiliar voices interrupting him. The sound of those voices, the inattention with which Kozlovsky glanced at him, the churlishness of the harassed clerk, the fact that the clerk and Kozlovsky were sitting round a tub on the floor at so little distance from the commander-in-chief, and that the Cossacks holding the horses laughed so loudly at the window—all made Prince Andrey feel that some grave calamity was hanging over them.

Prince Andrey turned to Kozlovsky with urgent questions.

“In a minute, prince,” said Kozlovsky. “The disposition of Bagration's troops…”

“What about capitulation?”

“Nothing of the sort; arrangements have been made for a battle!”

Prince Andrey went towards the door from which the sound of voices came. But at the moment when he was going to open the door, the voices in the room paused, the door opened of itself, and Kutuzov with his eagle nose and podgy face appeared in the doorway. Prince Andrey was standing exactly opposite Kutuzov; but from the expression of the commander-in-chief's one seeing eye it was evident that thought and anxiety so engrossed him as to veil, as it were, his vision. He looked straight into his adjutant's face and did not recognise him.

“Well, have you finished?” he addressed Kozlovsky.

“In a second, your Excellency.”

Bagration, a short lean man, not yet elderly, with a resolute and impassive face of oriental type, came out after the commander-in-chief.

“I have the honour to report myself,” Prince Andrey said for the second time, rather loudly, as he handed Kutuzov an envelope.

“Ah, from Vienna? Very good! Later, later!” Kutuzov went out to the steps with Bagration.

“Well, prince, good-bye,” he said to Bagration. “Christ be with you! May my blessing bring you a great victory!” Kutuzov's face suddenly softened, and there were tears in his eyes. With his left arm he drew Bagration to him, while with his right hand, on which he wore a ring, he crossed him with a gesture evidently habitual. He offered him his podgy cheek, but Bagration kissed him on the neck. “Christ be with you!” repeated Kutuzov, and he went towards his carriage. “Get in with me,” he said to Bolkonsky.

“Your Most High Excellency, I should have liked to be of use here. Allow me to remain in Prince Bagration's detachment.”

“Get in,” said Kutuzov, and noticing that Bolkonsky still delayed: “I have need of good officers myself, myself.”

They took their seats in the carriage and drove for some minutes in silence.

“There is a great deal, a great deal of everything still before us,” he said, with an expression of old-age clairvoyance, as though he saw all that was passing in Bolkonsky's heart. “If one-tenth part of his detachment comes in, I shall thank God,” added Kutuzov, as though talking to himself.

Prince Andrey glanced at Kutuzov, and unconsciously his eyes were caught by the carefully washed seams of the scar on his temple, where the bullet had gone through his head at Ismail, and the empty eyesocket, not a yard from him. “Yes, he has the right to speak so calmly of the destruction of these men,” thought Bolkonsky.

“That's why I ask you to send me to that detachment,” he said.

Kutuzov made no reply. He seemed to have forgotten what was said to him, and sat plunged in thought. Five minutes later, swaying easily in the soft carriage springs, Kutuzov addressed Prince Andrey. There was no trace of emotion on his face now. With delicate irony he questioned Prince Andrey about the details of his interview with the Emperor, about the comments he had heard at Court on the Krems engagement, and about ladies of their common acquaintance.
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:45:29
“公爵,而今没有找到马车,什么也找不到,天知道您的彼得在哪里呢。”另一名副官说道。

“大本营究竟在哪里?”

“我们要在茨奈姆落歇。”

“我把我要用的全部物件重新驮在两匹马背上,”涅斯维茨基说道,“马搭子装得棒极了。即令要溜过波希米亚山也行。老兄,很不妙。你真的病了,怎么老在发抖呢?”涅斯维茨基发现安德烈公爵像触到电容瓶似地打了个哆嗦,于是问道。

“没关系。”安德烈公爵答道。

这时分他想起了不久以前跟军医太太和辎重队军官发生冲突的情景。

“总司令在此地做什么事?”他问道。

“我一点也不知道。”涅斯维茨基说道。

“有一点我是了解的:什么都令人厌恶,令人厌恶,令人厌恶!”安德烈公爵说完这句话,就到总司令驻扎的住宅去了。

安德烈公爵从库图佐夫的轻便马车旁边,从疲惫不堪的随员骑的马匹旁边,从那些大声交谈的哥萨克兵旁边经过后,便走进外屋。有人告诉安德烈公爵,库图佐夫本人和巴格拉季翁公爵、魏罗特尔都在一间农村木房里。魏罗特尔是替代已经献身的施米特的奥国将军。在外屋里,个子矮小的科兹洛夫斯基在文书官面前蹲着。文书官卷起制服的袖口,坐在桶底朝上翻过来的木桶上,急急忙忙地誊写文件。科兹洛夫斯基面容疲倦,看起来,他也有一宵未眠。他朝安德烈公爵瞥了一眼,连头也没有点一下。

“第二行……写好了吗?”他向文书官继续口授,“基辅掷弹兵团,波多尔斯克兵团……”

“大人,跟不上您呀。”文书官回头望望科兹洛夫斯基,不恭敬地、气忿地答道。

这时从门里可以听见库图佐夫的极度兴奋的不满意的话语声,它被另外的陌生的话语声打断了。这些话语声清晰可闻,科兹洛夫斯基漫不经心地瞥他一眼,疲惫不堪的文书官出言不逊,文书官和科兹洛夫斯基离总司令只有咫尺之地,他们围着木桶坐在地板上,几名哥萨克牵着马儿在住宅的窗下哈哈大笑,——从这一切来推敲,安德烈公爵心里觉得,想必发生了什么不幸的严重事件。

安德烈公爵十分迫切地向科兹洛夫斯基提出了几个问题。

“公爵,马上就回答,”科兹洛夫斯基说道,“正给巴格拉季翁下一道书面命令。”

“是要投降吗?”

“根本不是,作战命令已经颁布了。”

安德烈公爵向门口走去,门后可以听见众人的话语声。但是当他想要开门时,房间里的话语声停住了,门自动地敞开了。库图佐夫长着一张肥胖的脸,鹰钩鼻子,他在门坎前出现了。安德烈公爵笔直地站在库图佐夫对面,但是从总司令的独眼的表情可以看出,一种心绪和忧虑萦回于他的脑际,仿佛蒙住了他的视觉。他直勾勾地望着他的副官的面孔,没有认出他是谁。

“喂,怎么,写好了吗?”他把脸转向科兹洛夫斯基,说道。

“立刻写好,大人。”

巴格拉季翁,身材不高,一副东方型的表情呆板而端正的脸孔,干瘪瘪的,还不是老年人,他跟随总司令走出来。

“遵命来到,荣幸之至。”安德烈公爵递上一封信,嗓音洪亮地重说一句话。

“啊,是从维也纳来的吗?很好。过一会儿,过一会儿!”

库图佐夫随同巴格拉季翁走上了台阶。

“啊,公爵,再见,”他对巴格拉季翁说道,“基督保佑你。

祝福你建立丰功伟绩。”

库图佐夫的脸色忽然变得温和了,眼睛里噙满了泪水。他用左手把巴格拉季翁拉到自己身边,用那只戴着戒指的右手做出显然是习惯做的手势,给他画十字,向他伸出肥胖的脸颊,巴格拉季翁没有去吻他的脸颊,而是吻了吻他的颈项。

“基督保佑你,”库图佐夫重说了一遍,便向四轮马车前面走去,“你和我一同坐车吧。”他对博尔孔斯基说道。

“大人,我希望能在此地效劳。请您允许我留在巴格拉季翁公爵的部队中吧。”

“你坐下,”库图佐夫发现博尔孔斯基在耽误时间,便开口说道,“我本人,本人要用一些优秀的军官。”

他们坐上了四轮马车,默不作声地驶行了几分钟。

“前途无量,还有许多事要干,”他带着老年人富有洞察力的表情说道,仿佛他明白博尔孔斯基的全部内心活动似的,“假如明日有十分之一的人从他的部队中回来的话,我就要感谢上帝。”库图佐夫好像自言自语地补充说。

安德烈公爵望了望库图佐夫,在离他半俄尺的地方,他情不自禁地注视库图佐夫的太阳穴上洗得干干净净的伤疤,在伊兹梅尔战役中一颗子弹射穿了他的头颅,失去了眼球,他这只出水的眼睛也使安德烈公爵注目。“是的,他有权利心平气和地谈论这些人阵亡的事啊!”博尔孔斯基思忖了一会。

“正是因为这缘故,我才请求把我派到这支部队里去。”他说道。

库图佐夫没有回答。他好像忘记了他说的话,还在沉思默想地坐着。五分钟以后,库图佐夫把脸转向安德烈公爵,坐在柔软的四轮马车的弹簧车垫上平稳地摇摇晃晃。他脸上没有激动的痕迹了。他带着含蓄的讥讽的神情询问安德烈公爵关于他和皇帝会面的详细情形、在皇宫听到什么有关克雷姆战役的评论,并且问到大家都认识的几个女人。
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:46:36
CHAPTER XIV

Chinese

KUTUZOV had, on the 1st of November, received from one of his spies information that showed the army he commanded to be in an almost hopeless position. The spy reported that the French, after crossing the bridge at Vienna, were moving in immense force on Kutuzov's line of communications with the reinforcements marching from Russia. If Kutuzov were to determine to remain at Krems, Napoleon's army of a hundred and fifty thousand men would cut him off from all communications, and would surround his exhausted army of forty thousand, and he would find himself in the position of Mack before Ulm. If Kutuzov decided to leave the road leading to a junction with the Russian reinforcements, he would have to make his way with no road through unknown country to the mountains of Bohemia, pursued by the cream of the enemy's forces, and to give up all hope of effecting a junction with Buxhevden. If Kutuzov decided to march by the road from Krems to Olmätz to join the forces from Russia he ran the risk of finding the French, who had crossed the Vienna bridge, in advance of him on this road, and so being forced to give battle on the march, encumbered with all his stores and transport, with an enemy three times as numerous and hemming him in on both sides. Kutuzov chose the last course.

The French, after crossing the river, had, as the spy reported, set off at a quick march toward Znaim, which lay on Kutuzov's line of routes more than a hundred versts in front of him. To reach Znaim before the French offered the best hopes of saving the army. To allow the French to get to Znaim before him would mean exposing the whole army to a disgrace like that of the Austrians at Ulm, or to complete destruction. But to arrive there before the French with the whole army was impossible. The road of the French army from Vienna to Znaim was shorter and better than the Russians' road from Krems to Znaim.

On the night of receiving the news Kutuzov sent Bagration's advance guard of four thousand soldiers to the right over the mountains from the Krems-Znaim road to the Vienna and Znaim road. Bagration was to make a forced march, to halt facing towards Vienna and with his back to Znaim, and if he succeeded in getting on the road in advance of the French, he was to delay them as long as he could. Kutuzov himself with all the transport was making straight for Znaim.

Bagration marched forty-five versts, by night in stormy weather, through the mountains, with no road, and with hungry, barefoot soldiers. Leaving a third of his men straggling behind him, Bagration reached Hollabrunn, on the Vienna and Znaim road, a few hours before the French, who marched upon Hollabrunn from Vienna. Kutuzov needed fully another twenty-four hours to get to Znaim with all the transport, and so to save the army Bagration would have had, with his four thousand hungry and exhausted soldiers, to have kept at bay the whole army of the enemy confronting him at Hollabrunn for four-and-twenty hours, and this was obviously impossible. But a freak of fate made the impossible possible. The success of the trick that had given the Vienna bridge into the hands of the French encouraged Murat to try and take in Kutuzov too. Murat, on meeting Bagration's weak detachment on the Znaim road, supposed it to be the whole army of Kutuzov. To give this army a final and crushing defeat he waited for the troops still on the road from Vienna, and to that end he proposed a truce for three days, on the condition that neither army should change its position nor stir from where it was. Murat averred that negotiations for peace were now proceeding, and that he proposed a truce therefore to avoid useless bloodshed. The Austrian general, Nostits, who was in charge of the advance posts, believed the statements of Murat's messengers and retired, leaving Bagration's detachment unprotected. The other messengers rode off to the Russian line to make the same announcement about peace negotiations, and to propose a truce of three days, to the Russian troops. Bagration replied that he was not authorised to accept or to decline a truce, and sent his adjutant to Kutuzov with a report of the proposition made to him.

A truce gave Kutuzov the only possibility of gaining time, of letting Bagration's exhausted forces rest, and of getting the transport and heavy convoys (the movement of which was concealed from the French) a further stage on their journey. The offer of a truce gave the one—and totally unexpected—chance of saving the army. On receiving information of it, Kutuzov promptly despatched the general-adjutant, Winzengerode, who was with him, to the enemy's camp. Winzengerode was instructed not only to accept the truce, but to propose terms of capitulation, while Kutuzov meanwhile sent his adjutants back to hasten to the utmost the transport of the luggage of the whole army along the Krems and Znaim road. Bagration's hungry and exhausted detachment alone was to cover the movements of the transport and of the whole army, by remaining stationary in face of an enemy eight times stronger numerically.

Kutuzov's anticipations were correct both as to the proposals of capitulation, which bound him to nothing, giving time for part of the transport to reach Znaim, and as to Murat's blunder being very quickly discovered. As soon as Bonaparte, who was at Schönbrunn, only twenty-five versts from Hollabrunn, received Murat's despatch and projects of truce and capitulation, he detected the deception and despatched the following letter to Murat:

To Prince Murat.

Schönbrunn, 25 Brumaire, year 1805,

at 8 o'clock in the morning.

“It is impossible to find terms in which to express to you my displeasure. You only command my advance guard and you have no right to make any truce without my order. You are causing me to lose the results of a campaign. Break the truce immediately and march upon the enemy. You must make a declaration to them that the general who signed this capitulation had no right to do so, and that only the Emperor of Russia has that right.

“Whenever the Emperor of Russia ratifies the aforesaid convention, however, I will ratify it; but it is only a stratagem. March on, destroy the Russian army … you are in a position to take its baggage and artillery.

“The Emperor of Russia's aide-de-camp is a … Officers are nothing when they have not powers; this one had none. … The Austrians let themselves be tricked about the crossing of the bridge of Vienna, you are letting yourself be tricked by one of the Emperor's aides-de-camp.

“NAPOLEON.”

Bonaparte's adjutant dashed off at full gallop with this menacing letter to Murat. Not trusting his generals, Bonaparte himself advanced to the field of battle with his whole guard, fearful of letting the snared victim slip through his fingers. Meanwhile the four thousand men of Bagration's detachment, merrily lighting camp-fires, dried and warmed themselves, and cooked their porridge for the first time for three days, and not one among them knew or dreamed of what was in store for them.
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:46:59
第十四章

英文

十一月一日,库图佐夫从他的侦察兵那里得到了消息,这项消息可能使他率领的军队陷入走投无路的境地。侦察兵禀告:法国佬以其雄厚的兵力已越过维也纳大桥,向库图佐夫和俄国开来的军队的交通线挺进。如若库图佐夫下定决心留守克雷姆,拿破仑的十五万军队就要截断他的各条交通线,包围他的精疲力竭的四万军队,他就会处于乌尔姆战役中马克陷入的绝境。若是库图佐夫下定决心放弃他和俄国军队取得联络的道路,他就会无路可走,只得进入那人地生疏的无名的波希米亚山区,自我防卫,以免遭受拥有优势兵力的敌人的进犯,并且丧失他和布克斯格夫登取得联络的任何希望。若是库图佐夫下定决心沿途退却,从克雷姆斯撤退到奥尔米茨,同俄国军队汇合,那末在这条路上,那些越过维也纳大桥的法国人就要抢先一步,使库图佐夫遭受危险,这样一来,他就要被迫携带各种重型装备和辎重在行军中作战,同兵力优越二倍、从两面向他夹攻的敌人作战。

库图佐夫选择了后一条出路。

侦察兵禀告,法国人越过维也纳大桥,正以强行军的速度向库图佐夫撤退的道路上的茨奈姆推进,在库图佐夫前头走了一百多俄里。先于法国官兵抵达茨奈姆,意味着拯救全军的希望更大;让法国官兵抢先到达茨奈姆,就意味着一定会使全军遭受乌尔姆战役之类的奇耻大辱,或者使全军覆没。但是,率领全军赶到法国官兵前头去是不可能的。法国官兵从维也纳到茨奈姆的道路,比俄国官兵从克雷姆斯到茨奈姆的道路更短,更便于行走。

得到消息的晚上,库图佐夫派遣巴格拉季翁的四千人马的前卫队伍从克雷姆斯——茨索姆大道右侧翻越山峰向维也纳——茨奈姆大道推进。巴格拉季翁应当不停地走完这段行程,在面朝维也纳背向茨奈姆的地方扎下营盘。假如能赶到法国官兵前头,他就应当尽可能地阻止他们前进,库图佐夫本人携带各种重型装备起程前赴茨奈姆。

在暴风雨之夜,巴格拉季翁带着那些忍饥挨饿、不穿皮靴的士兵在无路径的山中走了四十五俄里,失去了三分之一的掉队的官兵。巴格拉季翁比法国官兵早几个钟头到达维也纳——茨奈姆大道上的霍拉布伦,这时法国官兵正向霍拉布伦附近推进。库图佐夫随带辎重还要再走一昼夜才能抵达茨奈姆;因此,为拯救军队巴格拉季翁就必须带领四千名饥饿而劳累的士兵花费一昼夜在霍拉布伦阻击相遇的全部敌军,这显然是办不到的事。但是奇特的命运却使办不到的事变成办得到的事。不战而将维也纳大桥交到法国官兵手中这一骗术的成功促使缪拉也试图欺骗一下库图佐夫。缪拉在茨奈姆大道上遇见巴格拉季翁的兵力薄弱的部队后,以为这就是库图佐夫的全军人马。为坚持粉碎这支部队,他要等候从维也纳动身后于途中掉队的官兵,为此目的他建议休战三天,条件是:双方的部队不得改变驻地,在原地不动。缪拉要人人相信,和谈正在进行中,为避免无益的流血,所以提议停战。

处于前哨部队中的奥国将军诺斯蒂茨伯爵相信缪拉军使的话,给巴格拉季翁的队伍开路,自己退却了。另一名军使向俄国散兵线上驶去,也宣布同样的和谈消息,建议俄国军队休战三天。巴格拉季翁回答,他不能决定是否接受停战建议一事,他于是派出他的副官携带建议休战的报告去晋谒库图佐夫。

停战对库图佐夫来说是唯一的赢取时间的办法,巴格拉季翁的疲惫不堪的部队可用以稍事休憩,即令他让辎重和重型装备得以向茨奈姆多推进一段路程也行(瞒着法国官兵运输辎重和重型装备)。这项停战建议为拯救全军造成了料想不到的唯一的良机。库图佐夫在得到消息之后,立即把他部下的侍从武官长温岑格罗德派往敌营。温岑格罗德不仅应该接受停战条款,而且应该提出投降条件;与此同时,库图佐夫还派出数名副官,尽量催促克雷姆斯——茨奈姆大道上全军的辎重向前推进。唯独巴格拉季翁的疲惫而饥馑的部队为掩护辎重和全军行进而在兵力强于七倍的敌人面前岸然不动地设营。

库图佐夫意料之事果然应验了,其一是,投降建议并不要求承担任何责任。它可使部分辎重赢得推进的时机;其二是,缪拉的错误很快会被揭露。波拿巴驻扎在申布鲁恩,离霍拉布伦有二十五俄里之遥,他一接到缪拉的情报和停战、投降的草案,便立刻看出这个骗局,于是给缪拉写了如下的一封信。

缪拉亲王:

我搜寻不到恰当的言词以表达我对您的不满。您只

能指挥我的前卫,如未接获我的命令,您无权擅自停战媾和。您使我丧失整个战役的成果。您立刻撕毁停战建议书,并且前去歼灭敌人。您对他宣布,签署这份降书的将军无权作出这一决定,除俄皇之外,谁也无权作出这一决定。

但是,如果俄皇同意这一条件,我也表示赞同,然

而这只是一种计谋而已。您要去消灭俄国军队……您定能夺取俄国军队的辎重和大炮。

俄皇的侍从武官长是个骗子手……军官们如未授予

全权,就不能发挥任何作用,他也没有这种权力……在越过维也纳大桥时,奥国人遭受欺骗,而您却遭受俄皇侍从武官的欺骗。

拿破仑

一八○五年雾月二十五日八时于申布鲁恩

波拿巴的副官携带这封令人恐怖的书函向缪拉处奔驰而来。波拿巴本人不信任将军,生怕放走现成的牺牲品,便率领御林军奔赴战场。巴格拉季翁的四千人马的队伍正在快活地点起篝火,烤干衣服、取暖,停战三天后第一次煮饭,队伍中谁也不知道,谁也不会想到目前将要发生什么事。
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:47:21
CHAPTER XV

Chinese

BEFORE FOUR O'CLOCK in the afternoon Prince Andrey, who had persisted in his petition to Kutuzov, reached Grunte, and joined Bagration. Bonaparte's adjutant had not yet reached Murat's division, and the battle had not yet begun. In Bagration's detachment, they knew nothing of the progress of events. They talked about peace, but did not believe in its possibility. They talked of a battle, but did not believe in a battle's being close at hand either.

Knowing Bolkonsky to be a favourite and trusted adjutant, Bagration received him with a commanding officer's special graciousness and condescension. He informed him that there would probably be an engagement that day or the next day, and gave him full liberty to remain in attendance on him during the battle, or to retire to the rear-guard to watch over the order of the retreat, also a matter of great importance.

“To-day, though, there will most likely be no action,” said Bagration, as though to reassure Prince Andrey.

“If this is one of the common run of little staff dandies, sent here to win a cross, he can do that in the rear-guard, but if he wants to be with me, let him … he'll be of use, if he's a brave officer,” thought Bagration. Prince Andrey, without replying, asked the prince's permission to ride round the position and find out the disposition of the forces, so that, in case of a message, he might know where to take it. An officer on duty, a handsome and elegantly dressed man, with a diamond ring on his forefinger, who spoke French badly, but with assurance, was summoned to conduct Prince Andrey.

On all sides they saw officers drenched through, with dejected faces, apparently looking for something, and soldiers dragging doors, benches, and fences from the village.

“Here we can't put a stop to these people,” said the staff-officer, pointing to them. “Their commanders let their companies get out of hand. And look here,” he pointed to a canteen-keeper's booth, “they gather here, and here they sit. I drove them all out this morning, and look, it's full again. I must go and scare them, prince. One moment.”

“Let us go together, and I'll get some bread and cheese there,” said Prince Andrey, who had not yet had time for a meal.

“Why didn't you mention it, prince? I would have offered you something.”

They got off their horses and went into the canteen-keeper's booth. Several officers, with flushed and exhausted faces, were sitting at the tables, eating and drinking.

“Now what does this mean, gentlemen?” said the staff-officer, in the reproachful tone of a man who has repeated the same thing several times. “You mustn't absent yourselves like this. The prince gave orders that no one was to leave his post. Come, really, captain,” he remonstrated with a muddy, thin little artillery officer, who in his stockings (he had given his boots to the canteen-keeper to dry) stood up at their entrance, smiling not quite naturally.

“Now aren't you ashamed, Captain Tushin?” pursued the staff-officer. “I should have thought you as an artillery officer ought to set an example, and you have no boots on. They'll sound the alarm, and you'll be in a pretty position without your boots on.” (The staff-officer smiled.) “Kindly return to your posts, gentlemen, all, all,” he added in a tone of authority.

Prince Andrey could not help smiling as he glanced at Captain Tushin. Smiling, without a word, Tushin shifted from one bare foot to the other, looking inquiringly, with his big, shrewd, and good-natured eyes, from Prince Andrey to the staff-officer.

“The soldiers say it's easier barefoot,” said Captain Tushin, smiling shyly, evidently anxious to carry off his awkward position in a jesting tone. But before he had uttered the words, he felt that his joke would not do and had not come off. He was in confusion.

“Kindly go to your places,” said the staff-officer, trying to preserve his gravity.

Prince Andrey glanced once more at the little figure of the artillery officer. There was something peculiar about it, utterly unsoldierly, rather comic, but very attractive.

The staff-officer and Prince Andrey got on their horses and rode on.

Riding out beyond the village, continually meeting or overtaking soldiers and officers of various ranks, they saw on the left earthworks being thrown up, still red with the freshly dug clay. Several battalions of soldiers, in their shirt-sleeves, in spite of the cold wind were toiling like white ants at these entrenchments; from the trench they saw spadefuls of red clay continually being thrown out by unseen hands. They rode up to the entrenchment, examined it, and were riding on further. Close behind the entrenchment they came upon dozens of soldiers continually running to and from the earthworks, and they had to hold their noses and put their horses to a gallop to get by the pestilential atmosphere of this improvised sewer.

“Voilà l'agrément des camps, monsieur le prince,” said the staff-officer. They rode up the opposite hill. From that hill they had a view of the French. Prince Andrey stopped and began looking closer at what lay before them.

“You see here is where our battery stands,” said the staff-officer, pointing to the highest point, “commanded by that queer fellow sitting without his boots; from there you can see everything; let us go there, prince.”

“I am very grateful to you, I'll go on alone now,” said Prince Andrey, anxious to be rid of the staff-officer; “don't trouble yourself further, please.”

The staff-officer left him, and Prince Andrey rode on alone.

The further forward and the nearer to the enemy he went, the more orderly and cheerful he found the troops. The greatest disorder and depression had prevailed in the transport forces before Znaim, which Prince Andrey had passed that morning, ten versts from the French. At Grunte too a certain alarm and vague dread could be felt. But the nearer Prince Andrey got to the French line, the more self-confident was the appearance of our troops. The soldiers, in their great-coats, stood ranged in lines with their sergeant, and the captain was calling over the men, poking the last soldier in the line in the ribs, and telling him to hold up his hand. Soldiers were dotted all over the plain, dragging logs and brushwood, and constructing shanties, chatting together, and laughing good-humouredly. They were sitting round the fires, dressed and stripped, drying shirts and foot-gear. Or they thronged round the porridge-pots and cauldrons, brushing their boots and their coats. In one company dinner was ready, and the soldiers, with greedy faces, watched the steaming pots, and waited for the sample, which was being taken in a wooden bowl to the commissariat officer, sitting on a piece of wood facing his shanty.
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:47:39
第十五章

英文

下午三点多钟,安德烈公爵向库图佐夫坚决地请求,在获准之后来到格伦特,拜谒了巴格拉季翁。波拿巴的副官尚未抵达缪拉部队,因此会战仍未开始。巴格拉季翁的队伍中对整个事态的进展一无所知,人人都在谈论媾和,但都不相信媾和有实现的可能。人人都在谈论会战,但也不相信会战近在眉睫。

巴格拉季翁认为博尔孔斯基是个走红的靠得住的副官,所以他像首长厚爱部下那样接待他。他向他宣布,大概在一二日之内将要发生会战,在会战期间,他让他享有充分的自由,可以自行决定:或者留在他身边,或者留在后卫队监察撤退的秩序,“这也是极为重要的事。”

“但是在眼下大概不会发生会战。”巴格拉季翁说,好像在安慰安德烈公爵似的。

“如果他是个派来领十字勋章的司令部的普通的阔少,那他在后卫队也能得到奖励。如果他愿意留在我左右办事,那就让他干下去……如果他是个勇敢的军官,那就大有用场了。”巴格拉季翁想了想。安德烈公爵什么话也没有回答,他请求允许他去视察阵地,了解一下部队的驻地,以便在接受任务时熟悉驶行的方位。部队中值勤的军官自告奋勇地陪伴安德烈公爵,这名军官是个眉清目秀的男子汉,穿着很讲究,食指上戴着一枚钻石戒指,法国话说得蹩脚,但他乐意说。

从四面八方可以看见满面愁容、浑身湿透的军官,仿佛在寻找什么东西,还可以看见从村中拖出门板、条凳和栏栅的士兵。

“公爵,瞧,我们没法摆脱这些老百姓,”校官指着这些人,说道,“指挥官纵容他们。瞧瞧这地方,”他指了指随军商贩支起的帐篷,“都聚在一起,坐着哩。今天早上把他们统一赶出去了,瞧瞧,又挤满了人。公爵,应当走到前面去,吓唬他们一下。等一等吗?”

“我们一块儿走吧,我也得向他要点乳酪和白面包。”来不及吃点东西的安德烈公爵说。

“公爵,您为什么不说呢?我愿意款待您哩。”

他们下了马,走进了随军商贩的帐篷。数名军官现出疲惫不堪的样子,涨红了脸,坐在桌旁又吃又喝。

“啊,诸位,这究竟是怎么回事!”校官用责备的口吻说道,就像某人接连数次地重说一句同样的话,“要知道,随便离开是不行的。公爵已吩咐,不准任何人走来。哎,上尉先生,瞧您这副模样。”他把脸朝向身材矮小、形容污秽、瘦骨嶙峋的炮兵军官说道,这名军官没有穿皮靴(他把皮靴交给随军商贩烤干),只穿着一双长袜,在走进来的人面前站起来,不太自然地面露微笑。

“喂,图申上尉,您不觉得害羞吗?”校官继续说道,“您这个炮兵好像要以身作则,而您竟不穿皮靴。假如发出警报,您不穿皮靴,那就很好看了。(校官微微一笑)诸位,诸位,诸位,请各回原位。”他客气十足地补充一句。

安德烈公爵望了望上尉,情不自禁地微微一笑。图申默不作声,微露笑意,站立时把重心从一只不穿靴子的脚移至另一只脚上,他带着疑惑的样子,用他那对聪明而善良的大眼睛时而望着安德烈公爵,时而望着校官。

“士兵都说:不穿靴子更方便。”图申上尉说道,面露微笑,显得很羞怯,看起来,他想用诙谐的语调来摆脱他的窘境。

“你们都各回原位。”校官尽量保持严肃的神态,说道。

安德烈公爵又一次地望望炮兵的身段。在他身上有一种特殊的全然不是军人固有的略嫌可笑、但又异常诱人的东西。

校官和安德烈公爵都骑上马,继续前行。

他们走到村外,不断地追赶并且遇见行军的各个小队的官兵,看见正在修筑的防御工事,工事左面刚刚挖出的泥土呈露红色。寒风凛冽,几个营的士兵都穿着一件衬衣,像白蚁似地在防御工事上蠕动。望不见的人在土墙后面铲出一锹一锹的红土。他们骑马走到防御工事前面,观看了一下,便继续前进。在防御工事后面,他们碰到几十个不断轮流替换、从工事跑下来的士兵。他们只好掩住鼻子,驱马疾驰,离开这种毒气弥漫的氛围。

“Voilàagrementdescamps,monsieurleprince.”①值日校官说。

①法语:公爵,这就是兵营的乐趣。

他们骑马走到了对面山上。从这座山上可以看见法国官兵。安德烈公爵停步了,开始仔细地观察。

“瞧,这儿就是我们的炮台,”校官指着那个制高点说道,“就是那个不穿靴子坐在帐篷里的古怪人主管的炮台,从那儿什么都可以望见。公爵,让我们一道去吧。”

“感激之至,我一个人现在就走过去,”安德烈公爵说道,想避开这个校官,“请您甭费心。”

他越向前行驶,越靠近敌军,我军官兵就显得更神气、更愉快。茨奈姆离法国人有十俄里,安德烈公爵是日早晨得绕过茨奈姆;正在茨奈姆前面驶行的辎重车队的秩序极为混乱,士气也低沉。在格伦特可以觉察到某种惧怕和惊慌的气氛。安德烈公爵越走近法军的散兵线,我军官兵就越显得信心充足。一些穿着军大衣的士兵排成一行,站在那里,上士和连长在清点人数,用手指戳着班里靠边站的士兵的胸口,命令他举起手来。分布在整片空地上的士兵拖着木柴、干树枝,搭起临时用的棚子,欢快地说说笑笑。一些穿着衣服的和裸露身子的士兵都坐在篝火旁边,烧干衬衣,包脚布,或者修补皮靴和大衣,都聚集在饭锅和伙夫周围。有个连的午饭弄好了,士兵们露出贪婪的神情望着蒸气腾腾的饭锅,等候着品尝的东西,军需给养员用木钵装着品尝的东西端给坐在棚子对面圆木上的军官。
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:48:00
In another company—a lucky one, for not all had vodka—the soldiers stood in a group round a broad-shouldered, pock-marked sergeant, who was tilting a keg of vodka, and pouring it into the covers of the canteens held out to him in turn. The soldiers, with reverential faces, lifted the covers to their mouths, drained them, and licking their lips and rubbing them with the sleeves of their coats, they walked away looking more good-humoured than before. Every face was as serene as though it were all happening not in sight of the enemy, just before an action in which at least half of the detachment must certainly be left on the field, but somewhere at home in Russia, with every prospect of a quiet halting-place. Prince Andrey rode by the Chasseur regiment, and as he advanced into the ranks of the Kiev Grenadiers, stalwart fellows all engaged in the same peaceful pursuits, not far from the colonel's shanty, standing higher than the rest, he came upon a platoon of grenadiers, before whom lay a man stripped naked. Two soldiers were holding him, while two others were brandishing supple twigs and bringing them down at regular intervals on the man's bare back. The man shrieked unnaturally. A stout major was walking up and down in front of the platoon, and regardless of the screams, he kept saying: “It's a disgrace for a soldier to steal; a soldier must be honest, honourable, and brave, and to steal from a comrade, he must be without honour indeed, a monster. Again, again!”

And still he heard the dull thuds and the desperate but affected scream.

“Again, again,” the major was saying.

A young officer, with an expression of bewilderment and distress in his face, walked away from the flogging, looking inquiringly at the adjutant.

Prince Andrey, coming out to the foremost line, rode along in front of it. Our line and the enemy's were far from one another at the left and also at the right flank; but in the centre, at the spot where in the morning the messengers had met, the lines came so close that the soldiers of the two armies could see each other's faces and talk together. Besides these soldiers, whose place was in that part of the line, many others had gathered there from both sides, and they were laughing, as they scrutinised the strange and novel dress and aspect of their foes.

Since early morning, though it was forbidden to go up to the line, the commanding officers could not keep the inquisitive soldiers back. The soldiers, whose post was in that part of the line, like showmen exhibiting some curiosity, no longer looked at the French, but made observations on the men who came up to look, and waited with a bored face to be relieved. Prince Andrey stopped to look carefully at the French.

“Look'ee, look'ee,” one soldier was saying to a comrade, pointing to a Russian musketeer, who had gone up to the lines with an officer and was talking warmly and rapidly with a French grenadier. “I say, doesn't he jabber away fine! I bet the Frenchy can't keep pace with him. Now, then, Sidorov?”

“Wait a bit; listen. Aye, it's fine!” replied Sidorov, reputed a regular scholar at talking French.

The soldier, at whom they had pointed laughing, was Dolohov. Prince Andrey recognised him and listened to what he was saying. Dolohov, together with his captain, had come from the left flank, where his regiment was posted.

“Come, again, again!” the captain urged, craning forward and trying not to lose a syllable of the conversation, though it was unintelligible to him. “Please, go on. What's he saying?”

Dolohov did not answer the captain; he had been drawn into a hot dispute with the French grenadier. They were talking, as was to be expected, of the campaign. The Frenchman, mixing up the Austrians and the Russians, was maintaining that the Russians had been defeated and had been fleeing all the way from Ulm. Dolohov declared that the Russians had never been defeated, but had beaten the French.

“We have orders to drive you away from here, and we shall too,” said Dolohov.

“You had better take care you are not all captured with all your Cossacks,” said the French grenadier.

Spectators and listeners on the French side laughed.

“We shall make you dance, as you danced in Suvorov's day” (on vous fera danser), said Dolohov.

“What is he prating about?” said a Frenchman.

“Ancient history,” said another, guessing that the allusion was to former wars. “The Emperor will show your Suvorov, like the others.…”

“Bonaparte …” Dolohov was beginning, but the Frenchman interrupted him.

“Not Bonaparte. He is the Emperor! Sacré nom …” he said angrily.

“Damnation to him, your Emperor!”

And Dolohov swore a coarse soldier's oath in Russian, and, shouldering his gun, walked away.

“Come along, Ivan Lukitch,” he said to his captain.

“So that's how they talk French,” said the soldiers in the line. “Now then, you, Sidorov.” Sidorov winked, and, turning to the French, he fell to gabbling disconnected syllables very rapidly.

“Kari-ma-la-ta-fa-sa-fi-mu-ter-kess-ka,” he jabbered, trying to give the most expressive intonation to his voice.

“Ho, ho, ho! ha ha! ha ha! Oh! oo!” the soldiers burst into a roar of such hearty, good-humoured laughter, in which the French line too could not keep from joining, that after it it seemed as though they must unload their guns, blow up their ammunition, and all hurry away back to their homes. But the guns remained loaded, the port-holes in the houses and earthworks looked out as menacingly as ever, and the cannons, taken off their platforms, confronted one another as before.
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:48:23
在另一个更走运的连队里,不是人人都有伏特加酒,士兵们挤成一团,站在那麻面、肩宽的上士周围,这名上士侧着小桶,向那依次地搁在手边的军用水壶盖子中斟酒。士兵们流露出虔诚的神色把军用水壶放到嘴边,将酒一倾而尽,嗽嗽口,用军大衣袖子揩揩嘴,带着快活的样子离开上士。大家的脸上非常平静,就好像这种种情形不是在敌人眼前发生,也不是在至少有半数军队要献身于沙场的战斗之前发生,而好像是在祖国某处等待着平安的设营似的。安德烈公爵越过了猎骑兵团,在基辅掷弹兵的队列中间,在那些从事和平劳作的英姿勃勃的人中间,在离那座高大的、与众不同的团长的棚子不远的地方,碰到了一排掷弹兵,一个光着身子的人躺在他们前面。两名士兵捉住他,另外两名挥动着柔软的树条,有节奏地抽挞着他的裸露的背脊,受惩罚的人异乎寻常地吼叫。一名很胖的少校在队列前头走来走去,不理睬他的吼叫声,不住口地说:

“士兵偷东西是很可耻的,士兵应当诚实、高尚而勇敢,假如偷了弟兄的东西,那就会丧失人格,那就是个恶棍。还要打!还要打!”

可以不断地听见柔软的树条抽挞的响声和那绝望的、却是假装的吼叫声。

年轻的军官流露着困惑不安和痛苦的神态,从受惩罚的人身边走开,带着疑问的目光打量着骑马从身旁走过的副官。

安德烈公爵走进前沿阵地之后,便沿着战线的前面驰去。我军和敌军的左右两翼的散兵线相距很远,但在中部地带,就是军使们早晨经过的地方,两军的散兵线相距很近,他们彼此看得清脸孔,可以交谈几句。除开在这个地方据有散兵线的士兵而外,还有许多好奇的人站在战线的两旁,他们冷讥热讽,端详着他们觉得古怪的陌生的敌人。

从清早起,虽然禁止人们走近散兵线,可是首长们没法赶走那些好奇的人。据有散兵线的士兵就像炫示什么珍宝的人们那样,已不再去观看法国官兵,而去观察向他们走来的人,寂寞无聊地等待着接班人。安德烈公爵停下来仔细观察法国官兵。

“你瞧吧,你瞧,”一名士兵指着俄国火枪兵对战友说道,火枪兵随同军官走到散兵线前面,他和法国掷弹兵急速而热烈地谈论什么事,“你瞧,他叽哩咕噜地讲得多么流利!连法国人也赶不上他哩。喂,西多罗夫,你为一句给我听听!”

“你等一下,听听吧,你瞧,多么流利啊!”被认为善于讲法国话的西多罗夫答道。

两个面露笑意的人指给人家看的那名士兵就是多洛霍夫。安德烈公爵认出他了,开始谛听他谈话。多洛霍夫随同他的连长从他们兵团驻守的左翼来到散兵线了。

“喂,再说几句吧,再说几句吧,”连长催促他说话,一面弯下腰,极力不漏掉他听不懂的每句话,“请再说快点。他说什么啦?”

多洛霍夫不回答连长的话,他卷入了跟法国掷弹兵开展的激烈的论争。他们当然是谈论战役问题。法国人把奥国人和俄国人混为一谈,他居然证明,俄国人投降了,从乌尔姆逃走了。多洛霍夫却证明,俄国人非但没有投降,而且打击了法国人。

“我们奉命在这里赶走你们,我们一定能赶走你们。”多洛霍夫说。

“只不过你们要卖力干,别让人家把你们和你们的哥萨克掳走了。”法国掷弹兵说道。

法国观众和听众笑了起来。

“要强迫你们团团转,就像苏沃洛夫在世时强迫你们团团转那样(onvousferadanser),”①多洛霍夫说道。

“Quest—cequ'ilchante?”②一个法国人说道。

“Del'histoireancienne,”③另外一个法国人猜到话题是涉及从前的战事,说道,“L'EmpereurvaluifairevoiràvotreSouvara,commeauxautres…”④

“波拿巴……”多洛霍夫本想开口说话,但是法国人打断他的话。

“不是波拿巴,是皇帝啊!Sacrèmon…⑤”他怒气冲冲地喊道。

“你们的皇帝见鬼去吧!”

①法语:要强迫你们团团转。

②法语:他在那儿乱唱什么?

③法语:古代史。

④法语:皇帝像对待其他人一样,也要教训你们的苏瓦拉一顿……(苏瓦拉即指苏沃洛夫。)

⑤法语:见鬼去……

多洛霍夫像士兵似的用俄国话粗鲁地骂了一顿,提起枪来,走开了。

“伊万·卢基奇,我们走吧,”他对连长说道。

“你看,法国话多棒,”散兵线上的士兵说道,“喂,西多罗夫,你说一句给我听听。”

西多罗夫丢了个眼色,把脸转向法国人,开始急促地嘟嚷着一些听不懂的话。

“卡里,乌拉,塔法,萨菲,木特尔,卡斯卡。”他叽哩咕噜地说,极力地想使他的语调富有表情。

“嘿,嘿,嘿!哈,哈,哈,哈!哟!哟!”士兵中间传来了快活的哄然大笑,这笑声透过散兵线无意中感染了法国人,看来在这场大笑之后就应当退出枪弹,炸毁发射药,快点四散各自回家。

但是火枪仍旧是装着弹药。房屋和防御工事里的枪眼仍然像从前那样威严地正视前方,卸下前车的大炮仍然互相对准着敌方。
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:48:40
CHAPTER XVI

Chinese

AFTER MAKING A CIRCUIT round the whole line of the army, from the right flank to the left, Prince Andrey rode up to that battery from which the staff-officer told him that the whole field could be seen. Here he dismounted and stood by the end of one of the four cannons, which had been taken off their platforms. An artilleryman on sentinel duty in front of the cannons was just confronting the officer, but at a sign being made to him, he renewed his regular, monotonous pacing. Behind the cannons stood their platforms, and still further behind, the picket-ropes and camp-fires of the artillerymen. To the left, not far from the end cannon, was a little newly rigged-up shanty, from which came the sounds of offices' voices in eager conversation. From the battery there was in fact a view of almost the whole disposition of the Russian forces, and the greater part of the enemy's. Directly facing the battery on the skyline of the opposite hill could be seen the village of Schöngraben; to the left and to the right could be discerned in three places through the smoke of the camp-fires masses of the French troops, of which the greater number were undoubtedly in the village itself and behind the hill. To the left of the village there was something in the smoke that looked like a battery, but it could not be made out clearly by the naked eye. Our right flank was stationed on a rather steep eminence, which dominated the French position. About it were disposed our infantry regiments, and on the very ridge could be seen dragoons. In the centre, where was placed Tushin's battery, from which Prince Andrey was surveying the position, there was the most sloping and direct descent to the stream that separated us from Schöngraben. On the left our troops were close to a copse, where there was the smoke of the camp-fires of our infantry, chopping wood in it. The French line was wider than ours, and it was obviously easy for the French to outflank us on both sides. Behind our position was a precipitous and deep ravine, down which it would be difficult to retreat with artillery and cavalry. Prince Andrey leaned his elbow on the cannon, and taking out a note-book, sketched for himself a plan of the disposition of the troops. In two places he made notes with a pencil, intending to speak on the points to Bagration. He meant to suggest first concentrating all the artillery in the centre, and secondly drawing the cavalry back to the further side of the ravine. Prince Andrey, who was constantly in attendance on the commander-in-chief, watching the movements of masses of men and manœuvring of troops, and also continually studying the historical accounts of battles, could not help viewing the course of the military operations that were to come only in their general features. His imagination dwelt on the broad possibilities, such as the following: “If the enemy makes the right flank the point of attack,” he said to himself, “the Kiev grenadiers and Podolosky Chasseurs will have to defend their position, till the reserves from the centre come to their support. In that case the dragoons can get them in the flank and drive them back. In case of an attack on the centre, we station on this height the central battery, and under its cover we draw off the left flank and retreat to the ravine by platoons,” he reasoned. … All the while he was on the cannon, he heard, as one often does, the sounds of the voices of the officers talking in the shanty, but he did not take in a single word of what they were saying. Suddenly a voice from the shanty impressed him by a tone of such earnestness that he could not help listening.

“No, my dear fellow,” said a pleasant voice that seemed somehow familiar to Prince Andrey. “I say that if one could know what will happen after death, then not one of us would be afraid of death. That's so, my dear fellow.”

Another younger voice interrupted him: “But afraid or not afraid, there's no escaping it.”

‘Why, you're always in fear! Fie on you learned fellows,” said a third, a manly voice, interrupting both. “To be sure, you artillerymen are clever fellows, because you can carry everything with you to eat and to drink.”

And the owner of the manly voice, apparently an infantry officer, laughed.

“Still one is in fear,” pursued the first voice, the one Prince Andrey knew. “One's afraid of the unknown, that's what it is. It's all very well to say the soul goes to heaven … but this we do know, that there is no heaven, but only atmosphere.”

Again the manly voice interrupted.

“Come, give us a drop of your herb-brandy, Tushin,” it said.

“Oh, it's the captain, who had his boots off in the booth,” thought Prince Andrey, recognising with pleasure the agreeable philosophising voice.

“Herb-brandy by all means,” said Tushin; “but still to conceive of a future life …” He did not finish his sentence.

At that moment there was a whiz heard in the air: nearer, nearer, faster and more distinctly, and faster it came; and the cannon-ball, as though not uttering all it had to say, thudded into the earth not far from the shanty, tearing up the soil with superhuman force. The earth seemed to moan at the terrible blow. At the same instant there dashed out of the shanty, before any of the rest, little Tushin with his short pipe in his mouth; his shrewd, good-humoured face was rather pale. After him emerged the owner of the manly voice, a stalwart infantry officer, who ran off to his company, buttoning his coat as he ran.
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:49:04
第十六章

英文

安德烈公爵从左右两翼绕过军队的整条战线之后,便登上校官谈话中提到的那座可以纵观整个战场的炮台。他在这里下了马,面前有四门大炮已卸去前车,他在那尊紧靠边上的大炮边旁停下来。炮队的一名哨兵在大炮前面踱来踱去,本来他在军官面前总要挺直胸膛立正,但是安德烈公爵向他做了个手势,他于是继续没精打采地、步速均匀地踱来踱去。前车停在大炮后面,再往后走就可以看见系马桩和炮兵生起的篝火。在离那尊紧靠边上的大炮不远的左前方,可以看见一座用树条编就的新棚子,棚子里传出军官们热闹的谈话声。

诚然,从那座炮台上庶几展现出俄军和大部分敌军驻地的全貌。在对面山岗的地平线上,正好面对炮台,可以望见申格拉本村,在离本村两侧不远的地方,在法军生起篝火的滚滚黑烟中已有三处可以分辨清一大批法军,显然大部分法军都在本村和山后设营。村子左边,在一股浓烟中似乎可以看见某种形似炮台的东西,可是用肉眼就分辨不清楚了。我军的右翼位于颇为陡峭的高地,它耸立于法军阵地之上。高地上分布着我军的步兵,紧靠边缘的地方可以看见龙骑兵。图申主管的炮台位于中央,安德烈公爵从炮台上观察阵地,中央地带有一条笔直的缓坡路和通往小河的上坡路,这条小河把我们和申格拉本村分隔开来。我军右方与森林毗连,砍伐木柴的步兵生起的篝火冒着一股轻烟。法军的战线比我军的战线更宽,一目了然,法国官兵不难从两面包抄我们。我军阵地后面有一座陡峭的万仞深谷,炮兵和骑兵很难从峡谷退却。安德烈公爵用臂肘支撑着炮身,他取出记事簿,给自己画了一张军队部署图。他用铅笔在两处作了记号,打算向巴格拉季翁汇报一番。他想,首先把全部炮兵集中在中央阵地,其二,朝峡谷方向调回骑兵部队。安德烈公爵常在总司令近侧,注意群众的运作和一般的指令,并经常研究战争史文献,对行将爆发的战斗,情不自禁地想到军事行动进程的梗概。他脑海中只是浮现出如下严重的偶然事件:“如果敌军攻打右翼,”他自言自语地说,“基辅掷弹兵团和波多尔斯克猎骑兵团就要在中央援军尚未抵达之前坚守阵地。在这种情况下,龙骑兵可能要打击侧翼部队,把他们粉碎。敌人一旦进攻中央阵地,我们就要在这个高地上布置中央炮台,并且在炮台掩护下集结左翼部队,列成梯队撤退到峡谷。”他自言自语地评论……

当他在炮台上一门大炮旁边停留的时候,他便像平常那样不断地听见那些在棚子里说话的军官的嗓音,但是他们说什么,他连一个词也不明白。突然棚子里传来几个人的嗓音,这使他感到惊奇,他们说话的声调十分亲切,扣人心弦,以致他情不自禁地倾听起来。

“不,亲爱的,”传来一阵悦耳的好像是安德烈公爵熟悉的话语声,“我是说,假如有办法知道未来的事,那末我们之中就没有人会怕死了。亲爱的,的确如此。”

另外一个更加年轻的汉子的嗓音打断了他的话。

“怕也好,不怕也好,横竖一样——死是不可避免的。”

“不过还是害怕啊!嗨,你们都是很有阅历的人,”又传来一阵勇敢者的话语声,把前二者的话打断了,“真的,你们这些炮兵之所以很有阅历,是因为你们把样样东西随身带来了:伏特加酒呀,小菜呀,要什么有什么。”

嗓音雄厚的汉子显然是步兵军官,他大声笑起来了。

“不过还是害怕啊!”头一位带有熟悉的嗓音的人继续说下去,“害怕未知的事事物物,真是如此。无论怎么说,灵魂终有一日要升天……我们本来就知道,上天是不存在的,只有大气层而已。”

勇敢者的嗓音又把炮兵的话打断了。

“喂,图申,请我喝点您的草浸酒吧。”他说道。

“他就是那个不穿皮靴站在随军商贩身边的上尉。”安德烈公爵思忖了片刻,高兴地听出令人悦意的富有抽象推理意味的发言。

“可以请您喝一点草浸酒,”图申说道,“还是要明了未来的人生……”他没有把话说完。

这时候空中传来一片呼啸声。愈来愈近,愈快,愈清晰,愈清晰,愈快,一枚炮弹好像没有把要说的话全部说完,就带着非人的威力炸成了碎片,在离棚子不远的地方轰隆一声落在地上。大地因为遭受到可怖的打击而发出一声叹息。

就在这一刹那间,身材矮小的图申歪歪地叼着一根烟斗第一个从棚子里急忙跑出来,他那善良而聪明的面孔显得有几分苍白。嗓音雄厚的汉子,英姿勃勃的步兵军官跟在他后面走出来,向他自己的连队迅跑而去,跑步时,扣上军衣的钮扣。
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:49:46
CHAPTER XVII

Chinese

PRINCE ANDREY mounted his horse but lingered at the battery, looking at the smoke of the cannon from which the ball had flown. His eyes moved rapidly over the wide plain. He only saw that the previously immobile masses of the French were heaving to and fro, and that it really was a battery on the left. The smoke still clung about it. Two Frenchmen on horseback, doubtless adjutants, were galloping on the hill. A small column of the enemy, distinctly visible, were moving downhill, probably to strengthen the line. The smoke of the first shot had not cleared away, when there was a fresh puff of smoke and another shot. The battle was beginning. Prince Andrey turned his horse and galloped back to Grunte to look for Prince Bagration. Behind him he heard the cannonade becoming louder and more frequent. Our men were evidently beginning to reply. Musket shots could be heard below at the spot where the lines were closest. Lemarrois had only just galloped to Murat with Napoleon's menacing letter, and Murat, abashed and anxious to efface his error, at once moved his forces to the centre and towards both flanks, hoping before evening and the arrival of the Emperor to destroy the insignificant detachment before him.

“It has begun! Here it comes!” thought Prince Andrey, feeling the blood rush to his heart. “But where? What form is my Toulon to take?” he wondered.

Passing between the companies that had been eating porridge and drinking vodka a quarter of an hour before, he saw everywhere nothing but the same rapid movements of soldiers forming in ranks and getting their guns, and on every face he saw the same eagerness that he felt in his heart. “It has begun! Here it comes! Terrible and delightful!” said the face of every private and officer. Before he reached the earthworks that were being thrown up, he saw in the evening light of the dull autumn day men on horseback crossing towards him. The foremost, wearing a cloak and an Astrachan cap, was riding on a white horse. It was Prince Bagration. Prince Andrey stopped and waited for him to come up. Prince Bagration stopped his horse, and recognising Prince Andrey nodded to him. He still gazed on ahead while Prince Andrey told him what he had been seeing.

The expression: “It has begun! it is coming!” was discernible even on Prince Bagration's strong, brown face, with his half-closed, lustreless, sleepy-looking eyes. Prince Andrey glanced with uneasy curiosity at that impassive face, and he longed to know: Was that man thinking and feeling, and what was he thinking and feeling at that moment? “Is there anything at all there behind that impassive face?” Prince Andrey wondered, looking at him. Prince Bagration nodded in token of his assent to Prince Andrey's words, and said: “Very good,” with an expression that seemed to signify that all that happened, and all that was told him, was exactly what he had foreseen. Prince Andrey, panting from his rapid ride, spoke quickly. Prince Bagration uttered his words in his Oriental accent with peculiar deliberation, as though impressing upon him that there was no need of hurry. He did, however, spur his horse into a gallop in the direction of Tushin's battery. Prince Andrey rode after him with his suite. The party consisted of an officer of the suite, Bagration's private adjutant, Zherkov, an orderly officer, the staff-officer on duty, riding a beautiful horse of English breed, and a civilian official, the auditor, who had asked to be present from curiosity to see the battle. The auditor, a plump man with a plump face, looked about him with a naïve smile of amusement, swaying about on his horse, and cutting a queer figure in his cloak on his saddle among the hussars, Cossacks, and adjutants.

“This gentleman wants to see a battle,” said Zherkov to Bolkonsky, indicating the auditor, “but has begun to feel queer already.”

“Come, leave off,” said the auditor, with a beaming smile at once naïve and cunning, as though he were flattered at being the object of Zherkov's jests, and was purposely trying to seem stupider than he was in reality.

“It's very curious, mon Monsieur Prince,” said the staff-officer on duty. (He vaguely remembered that the title prince was translated in some peculiar way in French, but could not get it quite right.) By this time they were all riding up to Tushin's battery, and a ball struck the ground before them.

“What was that falling?” asked the auditor, smiling naïvely.

“A French pancake,” said Zherkov.

“That's what they hit you with, then?” asked the auditor. “How awful!” And he seemed to expand all over with enjoyment. He had hardly uttered the words when again there was a sudden terrible whiz, which ended abruptly in a thud into something soft, and flop—a Cossack, riding a little behind and to the right of the auditor, dropped from his horse to the ground. Zherkov and the staff-officer bent forward over their saddles and turned their horses away. The auditor stopped facing the Cossack, and looking with curiosity at him. The Cossack was dead, the horse was still struggling.

Prince Bagration dropped his eyelids, looked round, and seeing the cause of the delay, turned away indifferently, seeming to ask, “Why notice these trivial details?” With the ease of a first-rate horseman he stopped his horse, bent over a little and disengaged his sabre, which had caught under his cloak. The sabre was an old-fashioned one, unlike what are worn now. Prince Andrey remembered the story that Suvorov had given his sabre to Bagration in Italy, and the recollection was particularly pleasant to him at that moment. They had ridden up to the very battery from which Prince Andrey had surveyed the field of battle.
风の语 发表于 2007-11-14 22:50:06
第十七章

英文  

安德烈公爵骑着马站在炮台上,抬眼望着大炮的硝烟,一枚炮弹飞也似地射出去了。他心不在焉地端详着广阔的空间。他只看见,先前驻守原地不动的成群结队的法国官兵动弹起来了。诚然,左前方出现了一座炮台。炮台上的硝烟还没有消散。两名骑马的法国人大概是副官,他们从山上疾驰而过。可以清楚地看见敌军的一个小纵队大概要增强散兵线朝山下推进。头一炮的硝烟还没有消散,就已冒出另一股硝烟,响起了炮声。战斗开始了。安德烈公爵拨马回头,前往格伦特寻觅巴格拉季翁公爵。他听见身后传来的炮声愈来愈急速,愈来愈响亮。看来我军在开始回击。在山下,在军使走过的地方,可以听见砰砰的枪声。

勒马鲁瓦携带着波拿巴的一封望而生畏的书信刚刚驰至缪拉处,心中有愧的缪拉想痛改前非,于是立刻将部队调至中央阵地,并向左右两翼迂回,希望在傍晚皇帝驾到之前粉碎自己面前的一小股敌军。

“你瞧,战斗开始了!”安德烈公爵想道,他觉得身上的血液开始更急速地涌上心房。“可是在哪里战斗?怎样才能把我的‘土伦'表现出来呢?”他想道。

他从一刻钟以前还在吃稀饭、喝伏特加酒的那几个连队中间经过时,他到处看见正在排队和拿起火枪的士兵们的同样敏捷的动作,他从大家的脸上发觉他心中体察到的那种兴奋的感情。“你瞧,战斗开始了!既可怕,又快活!”每一名士兵和军官的面部表情都证明了这一层。

他还没有走到修筑防御工事的地方,他就在那阴沉沉的秋日的夕照中看见向他迎面走来的几个骑马的人。领头的人披着斗篷,戴着羔皮阔边帽,正骑着一匹白马。他是巴格拉季翁公爵。安德烈公爵停下,等候他。巴格拉季翁公爵勒住马,认出安德烈公爵,向他点头致意。当安德烈公爵把目睹的情形告诉他时,他继续观察前方。

“战斗开始了”这句话甚至在巴格拉季翁那副坚定的棕色的面孔上表露出来了,他的一双不明亮的眼睛半睁半瞌,仿佛没有睡够似的。安德烈公爵焦急不安地好奇地凝视着这副呆板的面孔,他很想弄明白,他是否在思考,是否在体察,这个人在这种时刻会思索什么,产生什么感觉?“总而言之,在这副呆板的面孔后面是否隐藏着什么?”安德烈公爵一面望着他,一面向自己提出这个问题。巴格拉季翁公爵颔颔首,表示赞同安德烈公爵的话,他接着说道:“很好。”这种神态就像这里发生的一切、向他汇报的一切,正是他已经预见到的。安德烈公爵说得很快,但由于急速的骑行,气喘吁吁。巴格拉季翁公爵带着俄国东部的口音说话,说得特别慢,好像向人家暗示,用不着赶到什么地方去。但是他仍向图申主管的炮台策马疾驰。安德烈公爵偕同侍从们跟在他后面骑行。跟随巴格拉季翁公爵身后的有下列人员:侍从武官——公爵的私人副官热尔科夫、传令军官、骑一匹英国式的短尾良驹的值日校官、一名文官——检察官。此人出于好奇而请求参战,奔赴前线。检察官是个肥胖的男子汉,圆圆的脸膛,带着天真而快活的微笑,他环顾四遭,骑着马儿晃晃悠悠,在那辎重兵团的鞍子上露出他的一件有条纹的细丝厚毛军大衣,他正置身于骠骑兵、哥萨克兵和副官之中,现出一副怪模样。

“瞧,他想看看打仗,”热尔科夫指着检察官,对博尔孔斯基说道,“可是他的心窝上痛起来了。”

“得啦吧,你甭说了。”检察官面露喜悦、天真而狡黠地微笑,说道,仿佛他感到荣幸的是,他已成为热尔科夫谈笑的对象,仿佛他故意装出一副比他实际上更愚蠢的样子。

“Tresdrole,monmonsieurprince,”①值日校官说道。

①法语:我的公爵先生,真够开心啊。

(他还记得,公爵这个爵位在法国话中似乎有种特殊的讲法,可是他无论如何也讲不准确。)

这时候他们都已驶近图申主管的炮台,一枚炮弹落在他们前面了。

“什么东西落下来了?”检察官幼稚地微露笑容,问道。

“法国薄饼。”热尔科夫说。

“就是说,用这个东西打吗?”检察官问道,“厉害极了!”

他好像高兴得快要丧失自制力了。他话音刚刚落地,忽然又响起一阵可怕的呼啸,不知撞着什么不结实的东西,呼啸声停止了,在离检察官左后方不远的地方,一名骑马的哥萨克兵扑通一声,连人带马倒在地上了。热尔科夫和值日校官贴近马鞍弯下腰来,调转马头跑开了。检察官在哥萨克兵对面停下来,集中注意力、好奇地审视着他。哥萨克兵死去了,马还在挣扎。

巴格拉季翁公爵眯缝起眼睛,环顾四周,发现了慌乱的原因之后,便漠不关心地转过身去,他仿佛在说:“不值得去干蠢事!”他勒住马,做出善骑者的姿势,微微地弯下身子,把那挂住斗篷的长剑弄正。长剑是古式的,而不是目前军人佩戴的长剑。安德烈公爵想起苏沃洛夫在意大利把长剑赠送巴格拉季翁的故事,这时回想起来他觉得特别高兴。他们向炮台前面驰去,博尔孔斯基甫才瞭望战场时,就站在炮台的近旁。
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表