找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

Condoleezza Rice and the Frog Strategy

发布者: TheYeti | 发布时间: 2006-1-27 13:28| 查看数: 1941| 评论数: 0|

<FONT size=3>“</FONT><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><STRONG>Frogs in slowly boiling water”</STRONG> #11 of <FONT color=#ff0066>Collection of Interesting words and phrases</FONT>. Part 3 </FONT>第<FONT face="Times New Roman"> 18 </FONT>楼 雨巷宝岛英语园<FONT size=3>地 </FONT><a href="http://www.rainlane.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=11&amp;id=9224&amp;star=2#9224" target="_blank" ><FONT size=3>http://www.rainlane.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=11&amp;id=9224&amp;star=2#9224</FONT></A> (So far, there is a total of <STRONG>104</STRONG> entries in Part 3 of "Collection of Interesting Words and Phrases.")
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><o:p></o:p></FONT>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">
(Source:</FONT>作者:<FONT face="Times New Roman">S.H - 2000/10/28 09:11:25  at </FONT>汉英</FONT><br><FONT size=3>水慢慢煮沸,青蛙丝毫不觉危机将至,如果快速煮沸的话,它一早就跳出来了。人类也一样,某些潜在危机不易觉察,知道时为时已晚,就像被煮熟的青蛙。<FONT face="Times New Roman">
<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>
From Time Magazine, Jan 30th, 2006<o:p></o:p>
<FONT size=3>(With a picture of Rice and the caption"Rice and E.U. allies have crafted what is informally called<STRONG> the frog strategy</STRONG>.)<o:p></o:p></FONT>
<o:p></o:p>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><B>A Slow Iran Squeeze</B> <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">As Iran shows no sign of giving in to global calls to cease its nuclear-research activities, Western nations have been mapping out a careful, incremental plan to stop Tehran. The West’s plan is informally known to diplomats as the frog strategy—with no disrespect to the French (i) , who are among its key tacticians.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">  The name refers to the old saw(ii) that if you want to boil a frog, you put the unsuspecting amphibian in a pot of cold water. “This time it will be an Iranian frog,” says a European diplomat. “The strategy is to heat slowly but steadily and try to keep the frog inside.”
<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">(i)  Derogatory nickname of a Frenchman is a <I>frog</I>.  That, apparently, has to do with the frog legs being a favourite food of the French.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>(ii) Old saw=an adage or a maxim</FONT>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>
[此贴子已经被作者于2006-1-27 13:32:03编辑过]

最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表