找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

定语从句的用法详解

发布者: wonderful | 发布时间: 2006-2-16 16:44| 查看数: 5684| 评论数: 6|

一、基本概念:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>在复合句中,修饰某一名词或代词的从句叫定语从句。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>Do you know the man who spoke at the meeting just now? <br>That is the house where he lived ten years ago. <br></FONT>定语从句所修饰的词叫先行词;定语从句一般用关系代词或关系副词来引导,关系词放在先行词与定语从句之间起连接作用,同时又作从句中的一个成分。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>引导定语从句的关系代词有:<FONT face="Times New Roman">that, who, whom, whose, which; <br></FONT>关系副词有:<FONT face="Times New Roman">when, where, why. <br><br></FONT>二、关系词的用法:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>(一)关系代词的用法:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>1</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>作主语用<FONT face="Times New Roman">who, which</FONT>和<FONT face="Times New Roman">that, </FONT>如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>He is the man who/that lives next door. <br>The train which/that has just left is for Shenzhen. <br>2</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>作宾语用<FONT face="Times New Roman">whom, who, which, that, </FONT>如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>The man (whom/who/that) we have just seen is a famous writer. <br>Where is the book (which/that) I bought last week? <br></FONT>注:在非正式文体中,用于指人的关系代词<FONT face="Times New Roman">who whom, that </FONT>通常可以省略,但在正式文体中通常用<FONT face="Times New Roman">whom, </FONT>不可省略;用于指物的关系代词<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>和<FONT face="Times New Roman">that </FONT>在非正式文体中也通常省略,但在正式文体中一般不省略。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>3</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>作定语用<FONT face="Times New Roman">whose, </FONT>如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>(a) He is the man whose car was stolen last week. <br>(b) It was a meeting whose importance I did not realize at that time. <br></FONT>注:<FONT face="Times New Roman">“whose +</FONT>名词中心词<FONT face="Times New Roman">”</FONT>这一结构在定语从句中既能作主语(如上<FONT face="Times New Roman">a</FONT>句),又能作宾语(如上<FONT face="Times New Roman">b</FONT>句)。<FONT face="Times New Roman">whose </FONT>的先行词常用来指人,但有时也可以用来指具体事物或抽象概念,这时可以与<FONT face="Times New Roman">of which </FONT>结构互换,词序是:<FONT face="Times New Roman">“</FONT>名词<FONT face="Times New Roman">+of which”</FONT>,如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>They came to a house whose back wall had broken down.. (= the back wall of which) <br>He’s written a book the name of which I’ve completely forgotten. (= whose name) <br>4</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>作表语只用<FONT face="Times New Roman">that </FONT>,它既可以指人,也可以指物,但时常省略。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>He is no longer the man that he used to be. <br>This is no longer the dirty place (that) it used to be. <br></FONT>(二)关系副词的用法:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>1</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman">when </FONT>指时间,在从句中作时间状语,它的先行词通常有:<FONT face="Times New Roman">time, day, morning, night, week, year </FONT>等。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>I still remember the time when I first became a college student. <br>Do you know the date when Lincoln was born? <br></FONT>注:<FONT face="Times New Roman">when</FONT>时常可以省略,特别是在某些句型和某些时间状语中。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>Each time he came, he did his best to help us. <br>But help never stopped coming from the day she fell ill. <br>2</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman">where</FONT>指地点,在从句中作地点状语。它的先行词通常有:<FONT face="Times New Roman">place, spot, street, house, room, <br>city, town, country</FONT>等,如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>This is the hotel where they are staying. <br>I forget the house where the Smiths lived. <br></FONT>注:<FONT face="Times New Roman">where</FONT>有时也可以省略。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>This is the place (where) we met yesterday. <br>3</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> why</FONT>指原因或理由,它的先行词只有<FONT face="Times New Roman">reason</FONT>。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>That is the reason why he is leaving so soon. <br></FONT>注:<FONT face="Times New Roman">why</FONT>时常也可以省略。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>That is the real reason he did it. <br>(</FONT>三<FONT face="Times New Roman">) </FONT>使用关系副词应注意下列几点:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>1</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>这三个关系副词在意义上都相当于一定的介词<FONT face="Times New Roman">+which</FONT>结构:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>when = on (in, at, during…) + which; <br>where = in (at, on…) + which; <br>why = for which. </FONT>如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>I was in Beijing on the day when (=on which) he arrived. <br>The office where (=in which) he works is on the third floor. <br>This is the chief reason why (=for which) we did it. <br>2</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>当先行词是表时间的<FONT face="Times New Roman">time, day</FONT>等和表地点的<FONT face="Times New Roman">place, house</FONT>等时,一定要注意分析从句的结构,如果缺少主语或宾语时,关系词应该用<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>或<FONT face="Times New Roman">that, </FONT>缺少时间状语或地点状语时,才能用<FONT face="Times New Roman">when</FONT>或<FONT face="Times New Roman">where</FONT>,试比较:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>I’ll never forget the day when my hometown was liberated. <br>I’ll never forget the days which/that we spent together last summer. <br>His father works in a factory where radio parts are made. <br>His father works in a factory which/that makes radio parts. <br>3</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> when</FONT>和<FONT face="Times New Roman">where</FONT>既可以引导限制性定语从句,也可以引导非限制性定语从句。而<FONT face="Times New Roman">why </FONT>只<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>能引导限制性定语从句。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br><br></FONT>三.限制性定语从句与非限制性定语从句<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>1</FONT>.限制性定语从句说明先行词的情况,对先行词起限定作用,与先行词关系十分密切,不可用逗号隔开,也不可省略,否则全句意义就不完整。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>This is the telegram which he refers to. <br>Is there anything (that) I can do for you? <br>2</FONT>.非限制性定语从句只是对先行词作补充说明,没有限定作用,它与先行词的关系比较松散,因而不是关键性的,如果省略,原句的意义仍然完整。这种从句在朗读时要有停顿,在文字中通常用逗号与主句隔开。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>This note was left by Tom, who was here a moment ago. <br>As a boy, he was always making things, most of which were electric. <br></FONT>引导非限制性定语从句的关系词有:<FONT face="Times New Roman">who, whom, whose, which, when </FONT>和<FONT face="Times New Roman"> where</FONT>,不可以用<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>和<FONT face="Times New Roman">why</FONT>。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>另外,非限制性定语从句从意义上讲,相当于一个并列句,在口语中使用并不普遍,在日常生活中,人们通常用并列句或简单句来表达。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>I told the story to John, who later did it to his brother. <br>= I told the story to John, and he later told it to his brother. <br>Yesterday I happened to see John, who was eager to have a talk with you. <br>= Yesterday I happened to see John and he was eager to have a talk with you. <br>3</FONT>.两种定语从句的内涵不同,限制性定语从句具有涉他性,而非限制性定语从句具有<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>唯一性,这在理解和翻译时应特别注意。试比较:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>All the books there, which have beautiful pictures in them, were written by him. <br>All the books there that have beautiful pictures in them were written by him. <br>His brother, who is eighteen years old, is a PLA man. </FONT>(只有一个)<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>His brother who is a PLA man is eighteen years old. </FONT>(不止一个)<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>4</FONT>.有时,非限制性定语从句所修饰的不是某一个词,而是整个主句或是主句中的一个部分,这时一般采用<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>或<FONT face="Times New Roman">as</FONT>来引导。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>He passed the exam, which/as he hoped he would. <br></FONT>注:(<FONT face="Times New Roman">1</FONT>)<FONT face="Times New Roman">as</FONT>引导的从句可以放在主句之前,而<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>引导的从句只能放在主句之后。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>They are hollow, which makes them very light. <br>As is known to all, Taiwan is a part of China. <br></FONT>(<FONT face="Times New Roman">2</FONT>)从意义上讲,<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>指前面主句的内容;而<FONT face="Times New Roman">as</FONT>指代的是作为一般人都知道的常<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>识性的东西,因此常译成<FONT face="Times New Roman">“</FONT>就象<FONT face="Times New Roman">… …</FONT>那样<FONT face="Times New Roman">”</FONT>。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>(<FONT face="Times New Roman">3</FONT>)如果定语从句的内容对主句的内容起消极作用,则用<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>,而不用<FONT face="Times New Roman">as</FONT>,如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>She stole her friend’s money, which was disgraceful. <br>He tore up my photo, which upset me. <br>5</FONT>.在正式文体中,以<FONT face="Times New Roman">the way</FONT>为先行词的限制性定语从句通常以<FONT face="Times New Roman">in which</FONT>或<FONT face="Times New Roman"> that </FONT>引导,如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>The way in which you answered the questions was admirable. <br></FONT>但在非正式文体中,人们通常省略<FONT face="Times New Roman">in which</FONT>或<FONT face="Times New Roman"> that : <br>The way (in which) he spoke to us was suspicious. <br>I don’t like the way (that) you laugh at her. <br><br></FONT>四.关系词的选择<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>1</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>在非限制性定语从句中,关系代词作主语,只能用<FONT face="Times New Roman">who </FONT>指人,<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>指物;关系代词做宾语,常用<FONT face="Times New Roman">whom</FONT>(口语中有时用<FONT face="Times New Roman">who</FONT>)指人,<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>指物,它们都不能用<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>代替。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>2</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>关系代词作介词宾语,不论是在限制性定语从句中,还是在非限制性定语从句中,当介词前置时,只能用<FONT face="Times New Roman">whom</FONT>指人,<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>指物;但如果介词后置,则不受这种限制,关系代词还可以省去,特别是在口语中。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>Do you know the boy to whom she was talking? <br>Do you know the boy (that) she was talking to? <br>The pencil (which/that) he was writing with suddenly broke. <br>3</FONT>.<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>在限制性定语从句中,当先行词指物时,关系词可用<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>或<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>,二者常可以互换;但在下列情况中,只能用<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>,不用<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>(1) </FONT>当先行词是<FONT face="Times New Roman">all, a lot, (a) little, few, much, none, anything, something, everything, nothing</FONT>等词时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>All that can be done has been done. <br>In this factory I saw little / much that was different from ours. <br>(2) </FONT>当先行词被<FONT face="Times New Roman">all, any no, much, little, few, every</FONT>等限定词所修饰时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>We heard clearly every word that he said. <br>(3) </FONT>当先行词是序数词或被序数词所修饰时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>The first thing that should be done is to get the tickets. <br>When people talk about Hangzhou, the first that comes to mind is the West Lake. <br>(4) </FONT>当先行词是形容词最高级或被形容词最高级所修饰,以及先行词被序数词和形容<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>词最高级同时修饰时,如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>Is that the best that you can do? <br>That’s the most expensive hotel that we’ve ever stayed in. <br>This novel is the second best one that I have ever read. <br>(5) </FONT>当先行词被<FONT face="Times New Roman"> the very, the only, the next, the last</FONT>等所修饰时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>This is the very book that I want to find. <br>(6) </FONT>当先行词为指人和指物的两个并列名词词组时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>The guests spoke highly of the children and their performances that they saw at the Children’s Palace. <br>She described in her compositions the people and places that impressed her most. <br>(7) </FONT>当主句是以<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>开头的特殊疑问句时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>Which is the car that killed the boy? <br>4. </FONT>在限制性定语从句中,当先行词指人时,关系词可用<FONT face="Times New Roman">who(m)</FONT>或<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>,二者常可互换。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>但在下列情况中,用<FONT face="Times New Roman">who(m)</FONT>,而不用<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>(1) </FONT>当先行词是<FONT face="Times New Roman">one, ones, any, few, anyone, anybody, someone, somebody, everyone, <br>everybody</FONT>等词时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>Is there anyone who can answer this question? <br>He was among the few who managed to live through the enemy prison camp. <br></FONT>注:在非正式文体中可以说:<FONT face="Times New Roman">You’re the one that knows where to go.) <br>(2) </FONT>当先行词是<FONT face="Times New Roman">he, they, those, people, person</FONT>等词时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>He who wants to catch fish just not mind getting wet. <br>Those who are against the proposal put up your hands. <br></FONT>注:在固定结构的谚语或习语中,可用<FONT face="Times New Roman">he that…</FONT>。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>He that promises too much means nothing. <br>(3) </FONT>当先行词有较长的后置定语修饰时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>Do you know the writer in blue with thick glasses who is speaking at the meeting? <br>(4) </FONT>在分隔式定语从句中,若先行词指人,为了明确修饰关系,应当用<FONT face="Times New Roman">who(m)</FONT>。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>A new master will came tomorrow who will teach you German. <br>There’s only one student in the school who/whom I wanted to see. <br>I was the only person in my office who was invited. <br>(5) </FONT>两个定语从句同时修饰一个指人的先行词,第二个定语从句常用<FONT face="Times New Roman">who(m)</FONT>来引导,如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>She is the only girl I know who can play the guitar. <br>5. </FONT>在限制性定语从句中,当先行词指人时,在下列情况中,一般用关系词<FONT face="Times New Roman">that: <br>(1) </FONT>当主句是以<FONT face="Times New Roman">who</FONT>或<FONT face="Times New Roman">which</FONT>开头的特殊疑问句时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>Who is the man that is reading the newspaper over there? <br>Which of us that knows anything does not know this? <br>(2) </FONT>当先行词被形容词最高级或序数词所修饰时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>He is the greatest man that has ever lived. <br>(3) </FONT>当先行词被<FONT face="Times New Roman">the only, the very, the last</FONT>等词所修饰时。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>She is the only person that understands me. <br>6. </FONT>当先行词被<FONT face="Times New Roman">the same</FONT>所修饰时,关系词既可以用<FONT face="Times New Roman">as</FONT>,也可以用<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>。在表示具体事物<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>时,有时两者有一定的区别。一般说来,表示同一种类多用<FONT face="Times New Roman">as</FONT>,表示同一事物多用<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>This is the same instrument that I used yesterday. </FONT>这就是我昨天用过的那台仪器。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>This is the same instrument as I used yesterday. </FONT>这台仪器跟我昨天用过的那台一样。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>在抽象概念上,同种类和同一事物是没有绝对区别的,所以两个词可换用:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>I have the same opinion as / that you have. <br></FONT>这里要注意的是:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>(<FONT face="Times New Roman">1</FONT>)<FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT>使用<FONT face="Times New Roman">as</FONT>时,它引导的定语从句中的动词可以省略,但使用<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>时,定语从句中<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>的动词不可省略。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>Women received the same pay as men. <br>Women received the same pay that men received. <br>(2) </FONT>在<FONT face="Times New Roman">“the same…that”</FONT>结构中,<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>只是用来加强语气,强调<FONT face="Times New Roman">“</FONT>相同<FONT face="Times New Roman">”</FONT>。<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>可以省去而不改变句子原意,甚至连名词前的<FONT face="Times New Roman">same</FONT>也可以省去。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>This is the same instrument that I used yesterday. <br>= This is the same instrument I used yesterday. <br>= This is the instrument I used yesterday. <br></FONT>但在<FONT face="Times New Roman">“the same…as”</FONT>结构中,<FONT face="Times New Roman">same</FONT>和<FONT face="Times New Roman">as</FONT>都不能省略。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>(3) </FONT>当<FONT face="Times New Roman">“the same…that”</FONT>结构中的<FONT face="Times New Roman">that</FONT>作为关系副词用时,不可以直接与<FONT face="Times New Roman">as</FONT>互换。<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br></FONT>如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>He lives in the same building that I live. <br>= He lives in the same building as / that I live in. <br>Shall we meet at the same place that we last met? <br>= Shall we meet at the same place that / as we last met at? <br>7. </FONT>当先行词前有<FONT face="Times New Roman">such, so, as</FONT>时,关系词应当用<FONT face="Times New Roman">as</FONT>。如:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>A wise man seldom talks about such things as he doesn’t understand. <br>He spoke in such easy English as everybody could understand. <br>At this time of the day, all buses and trolleys have to carry as many passengers as they can. <br>It is so easy a book as every schoolboy can read. <br>Let’s discuss such things as we can talk of freely. <br></FONT>另需注意:<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>This book is written in such easy English as beginners can understand.</FONT>(定语从句)<FONT face="Times New Roman"> <br>This book is written in such easy English that beginners can understand.</FONT>(结果状语从句)
[此贴子已经被flying0422于2006-2-24 18:58:04编辑过]

最新评论

flying0422 发表于 2006-2-16 19:30:57
<STRONG><FONT face=Verdana color=#61b713>wonderful,</FONT></STRONG>谢谢你发的帖子,我把你原来设置的必须达到威望5的数值改为威望1,因为我们这个论坛最高的就是威望1。谢谢你的学习技巧![em17]
yaoxiaosai 发表于 2006-2-24 10:26:42
我是新来的,怎么能达到威望1呢?
flying0422 发表于 2006-2-24 12:37:51
这个需要你不断努力,能给我们论坛带来新生力量和团结精神的。当然你可以看看这里,<a href="https://www.enfamily.cn/dispbbs.asp?boardID=4&amp;ID=33&amp;page=1" target="_blank" >https://www.enfamily.cn/dispbbs.asp?boardID=4&amp;ID=33&amp;page=1</A>,看看你比较有兴趣的版块,在申请做管理员。这样你的威望就有1了。希望你努力加入我们论坛,一起为建设我们的论坛而努力![em05]
Grace 发表于 2006-2-24 13:43:22
flying0422,建议学习资料方面的,让大家无条件一起分享吧
flying0422 发表于 2006-2-24 19:00:26
<FONT size=2>Grace,i have changed the setting, so that everyone can see this article.</FONT>
<FONT size=2>Thank you for your good advice![em07]</FONT>
[此贴子已经被作者于2006-2-24 19:01:06编辑过]

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表