注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

What to Do When You Have Nothing to Do on Wall Street

发布者: chrislau2001 | 发布时间: 2008-9-8 09:47| 查看数: 2008| 评论数: 1|

How slow are things on Wall Street?

It's the worst IPO market in five years. M&A activity is at a crawl. The Dow just fell back into a bear market.

And for three days, I've racked my brains to fabricate a connection between Sarah Palin and Wall Street so I won't have to write another piece about Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.

Like everyone else on Wall Street, I'm desperately trying to do something when there is precious little to do.

That can be hard work. You need a strategy. Here are four of them for a banker to cope with dull days on Wall Street.

Strategy #1: The Waterboy: When there is little going on with outside clients, the smart banker turns to inside clients — his boss, his boss's boss and other powers that be — and volunteers for anything and everything as the Waterboy.

You need someone to draft a memo on cost-cutting initiatives or scrub the revenue pipeline or travel to Michigan for M.B.A. recruiting or join the associate review committee. No problem. No task is too small for the Waterboy. He's a team player.

Humiliating? Demeaning? Perhaps. But better a busy Waterboy than a second-string banker on the unemployment line.

Strategy #2: The Client Guy: The Client Guy understands that if God gives you lemons, you make lemonade. 'I love it when business is slow,' he barks at the Monday morning meeting, 'It gives me a chance to spend some quality time with my clients.'

Does he actually believe that? You hope not. But it beats whining like everyone else.

The Client Guy dutifully sets up meetings, gets on planes and takes the same clients through the same pitchbooks he showed them six months ago. But hey — look how much better the earnings dilution on that deal is now!

For the Client Guy, the cup is always half full. It has to be. Otherwise, on a beautiful warm September day, he'd head straight to the golf course and not to JFK for the four-hour trip to Dallas in the back of an MD-80.

Strategy #3: The Street Fighter: The Street Fighter also makes himself very busy. Not with clients, but furiously selling himself to anyone that will listen. He knows modesty has no place on Wall Street, especially when bonus money is scarce.

The Street Fighter is everywhere. He drops by to see the division head every two weeks and sends him a daily 'urgent' email. He makes the rounds of all the N.Y. headhunters. He interviews at any bank that will see him. And he books scores of conference rooms in N.Y. for client meetings that strangely never transpire

The Street Fighter's specialty is fighting for revenues. Every penny of every deal he's remotely touched is 'his.' He labors for days on his own self-evaluation until he has a laundry list of deals and a revenue contribution well north of $20 million.

And then the Street Fighter ties it all together by going from colleague to colleague to make sure they back his claims up. He begs, threatens and makes extravagant promises. All that trading and subterfuge is exhausting. A slow Wall Street? Not for the Street Fighter.

Strategy #4: The Vacationer: This last strategy is perhaps the most radical. Wall Street vacations are traditionally taken in August. But the bold banker who has already booked a year's worth of revenues can demonstrate his uber-confidence by taking off a leisurely week or two post-Labor Day.

'I've been so busy all summer that I just need some time for myself,' the Vacationer will sigh as he heads out the door. He had better be untouchable. His boss and peers will foam at the mouth with envy and plot revenge with all their free time.

And nowadays on Wall Street, there's plenty of that.

Evan Newmark

最新评论

chrislau2001 发表于 2008-9-8 09:48:14

无所事事时该做什么

华尔街如今状况有多惨淡?

这是五年来最糟糕的IPO市场。并购活动几乎陷入停滞。道琼斯指数也跌回了熊市区间。

三天来,我一直绞尽脑汁设想佩林(Sarah Palin)和华尔街之间的关系,这样的话我就不用再另写一篇关于房利美(Fannie Mae)和房地美(Freddie Mac)的稿子。

同华尔街的所有人一样,实在没事可做的时候,我也会想尽一切办法找事做。

这可能并不容易。你需要有个策略。下面是一个银行家应对华尔街黯淡时光的四条策略。

策略一:茶水小子。外部业务比较清淡的时候,一个聪明的银行家会将工作重心转向内部客户──他的上司、上司的上司以及权势人物──像茶水小子一样主动揽活,跑前跑后大献殷勤。

无论你是想找人起草有关成本削减倡议的备忘录、理清收入状况、到密歇根州进行MBA招聘,或是参加同事评估委员会。没问题,对茶水小子来说没有什么是小事。他是个很好的团队成员。

觉得做这些事脸上无光,或自贬身份?也许吧。不过做个忙碌的茶水小子总好过一个徘徊在失业边远的二流银行家。

策略二:客户专家。客户专家明白如果上帝给你柠檬,那就尽力调好一杯柠檬水吧。客户专家会在周一早间的会议上大声说:业务不景气的时候我也同样振作,这使我有机会好好花点时间在客户身上。

他真是这么想的?你可能不信。但这的确消除了抱怨,振奋了士气。

客户专家会尽职地开会、乘飞机出行、让同一批客户看他六个月前展示的同一份提案书。不过,嘿──看看现在那笔交易的收益稀释状况好转了多少!

約?对客户专家来说,杯子永远是半满的(而不是半空)。必须如此。否则在9月一个风和日丽的日子,他会直接奔向高尔夫球场,而不是去肯尼迪机场,坐四个小时的MD-80飞机去达拉斯出差。

策略三:街头战士。一个街头战士也会让自己非常忙碌。不过不是对客户,而是不遗余力地向所有听众推销自己。他很清楚谦逊在华尔街没有市场,尤其是在奖金匮乏的时候。

街头战士无处不在。他会每两个星期顺访部门主管,每天给他发一封“加急”电邮。他会查访纽约所有的猎头。他会去任何愿意给他机会的银行面谈。他还会预定纽约诸多会议室开客户会议,可奇怪的是这些会议从未召开。

街头战士的专长就是为收入而战。每一笔交易的每一分钱(哪怕他只是沾了一点点边)都是他的功劳。他终日忙着邀功请赏,直至拿到长长的交易清单以及高达2,000万美元的收入贡献业绩。

随后,街头战士会挨个走访同事,确保他们都支持他的要求。他会恳求、威胁并大开空头支票。所有这些交易和诡计都令人精疲力尽。无事可忙的华尔街?对街头战士来说绝不适用。

策略四:度假客。这最后一招可能也是最彻底的。华尔街通常在8月份休假。不过对一个已经完成一年收入目标的银行家来说,他可以大胆展示自己的超级自信,休上两个星期的假或是在劳工节后的两个工作日放下工作,好好享受一番生活。

度假客出门时会感慨:整个夏天我都忙得不可开交,的确该给自己放放假了。他最好是联系不上。他的上司和同事会妒火中烧,然后一有空就想着怎么算计他。

对如今的华尔街来说,这种事已是屡见不鲜。

Evan Newmark
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表