注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

节俭意味着美德,还是等同于寒酸?

发布者: chrislau2001 | 发布时间: 2008-12-26 16:00| 查看数: 2457| 评论数: 1|

How Cheap Is Too Cheap? Take The Mourning Test

Last week, I wrote a column about Christmas spending. I had frugal Christmases as a child and expected to continue doing so when I got married. That has sometimes caused friction with my wife, Clarissa, who sees Christmas as a time of joyous generosity and doesn't fret about spending too much.

The column prompted several memorable emails from readers. Some liked the column, saying it conjured up memories of their own frugal childhood Christmases. But one reader in particular took me to task for, basically, being so cheap.

'Do you have a hobby?' she wrote. 'Do you ever buy your wife nice jewelry or expensive perfume? Did you ever take the family on a great vacation where the experience played a larger part than the cost? Any one of us could drop dead tomorrow -- please don't have your family be sorry that you never enjoyed life and perhaps breathe a small sigh of relief that they now will.'

This may be a tad harsh. But it's a good letter, and the reader raises some valid points.

When I decided to write this column earlier this year, I chose to focus on a single aspect of my personality and its effect on my life. Am I cheap? Yep. Am I capable of acts of generosity?

Well, yeah. I could write about the time I spent $400 to give an amber necklace to Clarissa in the early 1990s when that was big money to us. I also sprang for a trip to London with Clarissa several years ago. We saved money by staying with friends. But we still managed to spend $3,000 on plane tickets, and meals, and a two-day trip to Bath because Clarissa loves Jane Austen.

And I started bird watching three years ago and spent $1,000 on a pair of $1,800 Swarovski binoculars after a friend offered me a deal. But I sometimes feel embarrassed when I hang them around my neck because I'm not a remotely good enough birder to merit such an extravagance.

If the question is whether I ever completely forget about money and just do whatever the heck I feel like -- no matter the cost -- the answer, I'm afraid, is no.

We've raised three kids on one salary, and it seemed wrong to me to spend money we don't have. On top of that, I hate waste. And paying too much for something makes me a little ill.

Being cheap isn't always a virtue. My family can tell you stories of the times I've bought bargain steaks at the supermarket that were so tough they were almost inedible. Or when I cast a pall on some outing by fretting about how to do it on the cheap.

Is it close to the point where they won't mourn my death? I sure hope not.

So I put the question to our 17-year-old, Brendon, as he sat hunched over the breakfast table, shoveling scrambled eggs into this mouth. 'A reader thinks I'm so cheap you'll breathe a sigh of relief when I die,' I said. 'That right?'

Brendon paused for a second. 'It depends how much money you have,' he said. He resumed shoveling eggs.

OK, he's a wise guy like his father. He didn't really mean it.

But has being tight with a dollar gotten in the way of my enjoying life? Yes, there have been times. But to be perfectly frank, most of the things I enjoy most in life -- reading, writing, hiking, spending time with friends and family -- aren't horribly expensive. I actually get paid to write. So I feel fortunate, not deprived.

I also know that we live in a society that has lived beyond its means. Much of the wealth around us was created by a huge increase in debt. Now, with the economy shrinking and credit tightening, much of that debt is going to disappear. Like it or not, America may once again become a place where people watch every penny.

The trick will be curbing our spending without making life miserable. I draw one line. Readers may draw another.

最新评论

chrislau2001 发表于 2008-12-26 16:01:20

久前我写了一篇有关圣诞节花销的专栏文章。小的时候,我总是节俭地渡过圣诞节,我希望把这种习惯保持到结婚以后,但是却与妻子克拉丽莎(Clarissa)产生了摩擦。她把圣诞节看作慷慨而尽兴的节日,从来不担心花钱太多。

Getty Images

作者承认节俭并非总是美德

我的文章引来不少令人难忘的读者来信。一些读者说,文章勾起他们自己节俭过节的童年回忆,但是也有一位读者责怪我把节日过得太寒酸了。

这位读者写道:“你是否有自己的业余爱好?你是否给妻子买过漂亮的珠宝或昂贵的香水?你是否曾带家人进行难忘的假日旅行,并把旅行经历看得比旅行花销更重?我们每一个人都可能在明天突然死掉,请不要让你的家人为你还没来得及享受生活就离开他们而感到遗憾,更不要让他们因为你的离开而感到一丝轻松,因为他们从此就可以享受生活了。”

这封信的措辞也许有些尖刻,但却是一封很好的来信,因为这位读者提出了很有价值的观点。

在今年早些时候构思这个专栏时,我决定将重点放在我性格中的节俭上,并写出这一方面的性格对我的生活有何影响。我是一个节俭的人么?确实是的。那么我是否也有慷慨行事的能力呢?

答案也是“是的”。90年代初,我曾花掉400美元给克拉丽莎买琥珀项链,那时,400美元对我们来说是一个大数目。几年以前,我也曾和克拉丽莎去伦敦旅行。为了省钱,我们住在朋友家里。但我们还是专门飞到巴斯进行了两天的短期旅行,仅仅是因为克拉丽莎热爱简•奥斯丁。这两天的机票、膳食等就花掉了3,000美元。

三年前,我开始参加观鸟活动,并花1,000美元从朋友手中买了一部价值1,800美元的施华洛士奇双筒望远镜。不过有的时候,当我把望远镜挂在脖子上,我会感到有点尴尬,因为我不是一个足可以配得上这部望远镜的优秀的观鸟者。

如果问我是否能彻底忘掉金钱,不计成本地想做什么就做什么,我的答案恐怕是“做不到”。

我们靠一个人的工资养大了三个孩子,在我看来,超前消费是不对的。除此以外,我也讨厌浪费。为了某样东西花太多钱让我感觉很不舒服。

不过艰苦朴素并不是总能带来好的结果。我的家人会给你讲这样的段子,我从超市买来减价牛排,结果硬得几乎难以下咽,又或者我光想着省钱,反而把郊游弄得一团糟。

我的节俭是否已经到了让家里人对我的死亡都不会感到悲痛的地步?我当然不希望出现这样的结果。

我把这个问题抛给17岁的儿子布兰顿(Brendon)。当时他正趴在早餐桌上,忙着把炒蛋往嘴里填。“一个读者说我太节俭了,以至于如果我死了,你们会感到轻松。真是这样么?”

布兰顿思考了几秒钟说:“那要看你到底有多少钱。”然后就又开始吃他的炒蛋。

看来,他和他老爸一样富有智慧。而他的话,显然只是调侃。

那么,锱铢必较的生活态度是否影响到我享受生活呢?有时候的确影响到了。但是坦率地说,生活中我真正享受的东西大部分并不是太昂贵,比如阅读、写作、远足、与朋友和家人在一起。写作为我带来回报,我觉得自己生活得很富足,而并不寒酸。

我也知道,我们社会的生活方式已经超过了恰当的界限。我们身边大多数财富都是通过增加举债而得来的。如今,在经济危机和信贷紧缩之际,很多借款都会没有了。不管人们喜欢与否,美国人可能要重新过上算计每一分钱的日子。

重要的是,在控制花销的同时也不要使生活变成寒酸的悲剧。我已经有了我自己的界限。读者们也会有各自的界限。
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表