找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

时事新闻:华裔球迷赞姚明扛起民族期望

发布者: chrislau2001 | 发布时间: 2009-3-16 15:01| 查看数: 1364| 评论数: 2|

北京时间3月15日消息,在美国生活的华裔如何看待姚明?一个来自阿拉巴马州的华裔球迷今日就在自己的博客中高呼对姚明的赞美,正在哈佛求学的他认为“全世界都应该感谢中国长城”。

Yao Ming: Why the World Should Thank the "Great Wall of China"

Growing up, my friends called me Yao Ming.

To them, I was a splendid freak of nature—a 6'4" Chinese kid who somehow got misplaced in the country-music paradise called Alabama. None of my comrades had seen the likes of me, so they wisely took one look at my rhythmically-appealing name, and without hesitation, decided to call me "Yao"—or as they explained it, my cousin's name.

At first, I suppose I was flattered by the association. After all, Yao had been drafted No. 1 by the Houston Rockets; so how could I not be honored? I rightly took it as a compliment.

However, I hadn’t even seen Yao in action, so I wasn’t completely certain.

My own NBA aspirations had ended when I’d realized professional basketball rims weren’t actually placed at a dunk-friendly height of seven feet, leaving me desperately looking for a player I could watch and live vicariously through.

Enter Yao Ming.

Yet, after watching Yao play that first year though, I wasn't so sure I’d found the right NBA player to be named after.

It certainly doesn't say volumes about me if my favorite player, a 7'6" beast, has trouble finishing around the rim, gets out-rebounded and blocked by shorter players, and runs like a three-legged giraffe.

Even after watching Yao for eight years, I still can't deny he possess a knack for embarrassing moments. Being posterized by Andre Iguodala is semi-acceptable, but having the 5'9" Nate Robinson block your dunk attempt for the third time in his career is nothing short of pitiful.

Moments like those are what give critics the ammunition needed to label Yao Overrated.

They acknowledge his career 19.1 PPG, 9.2 RPG, .524 FG percentage, and .832 FT percentage, but argue that for a man of his physical gifts, Yao should be much more of a dominating force—especially when trying to dunk on a guy nearly two feet shorter.

Even as a Houston Rockets fan, I agreed—that is, until I stopped obsessing over numbers and remembered to appreciate the intricacies of one of the best team sports ever.

For beyond all the numbers and hoopla that surrounds the nasty dunks and shameful blocks, Yao is as much an under-appreciated center as he is an ambassador of humility, selflessness, and heart; not only for the sport of basketball, but the world.

In a league where flashy dunks and boisterous mouths are lionized, Yao continues to be a model student of the game. He's never been a player who puts himself above the team. He’s never agonized over his personal statistics. Instead, he does whatever he can to help the team win. He's more than willing to make that extra pass and to set an unnoticed pick for a slashing teammate.

You'll never find Yao trash-talking after a glamorous dunk. Nor will you find him complaining over a lack of playing time. Instead, you'll see Yao be the first to jump off the bench to applaud a seldom-used teammate—even when the game is all but over. He's one of the most respectful guys in the game—leading to even Shaq calling him a "classy guy."

Off the court, it's much the same. Despite undeniable fame, He's never allowed it to go to his head. He's not that guy who'll pull a "drunken Sir Charles," fraternize with drugs or exotic women, or define his athletic success by his income.

No, he's the type to lift and plant sod during a rainy All-Star weekend in New Orleans, to be recognized by the United Nations for his contributions to the fight against AIDS, and to not only donate $2 million after the tragic 2008 Sichuan earthquake, but to also approach the NBA about doing a public service announcement during NBA games.

I realize that Yao's kindness and selflessness are often used as ammunition against him. Indeed, critics love to point to Yao's lack of toughness and fire as key reasons why he'll never be as great or as dominating as Shaq.

They're absolutely right. Yao will never be as extraordinary as Shaq’s been during his career. But then again, nobody in the near future will be.

Yet, we must understand that comparing Yao to Shaq is, for a lack of a better analogy, like comparing apples and oranges.

Whereas Shaq is, in the purest sense, an entertainer and dominator of the game, Yao is the game's ambassador—a hard-working, thoughtful, and courageous pioneer that has taken greater responsibilities than any one man should ever be required to take.

Bigger, more important forces are at work here, for Yao's significance as a player and individual goes far beyond the limits of two baskets and a court; it's global in every sense of the word.

Imagine living the first 20 or so years of your life in a country and culture that, from the bottom up, is built upon a lack of individuality, self-achievement, and exploration of the unknown. You've immersed yourself in that culture, slowly growing into a polite, caring, and congenial young man.

Yet, you're different, very different. With an unbelievable natural gift and talent, you're the one who stands out, the one who seemingly holds the honor, pride, and opportunity of over a billion people in the palm of his hands. By and large, your success is the success of an entire nation.

Do you take the challenge?

Yao did, and there are no words I can string together that would do justice to how much respect his actions deserve.

Perhaps Yao's words will help. From his memoir, Yao:

"I don’t know how American fans think, but in China if you score 30, the fans want you to score 40. If you score 40, they want 50. After my first NBA season, the Chinese newspapers were talking about how many years it will be before I win a championship, how many years before I am the league MVP.

This is what makes me think about failing. These are very big goals, but I will be looked on as a failure if I don’t reach them. I could tell you that what other people think is not important to me, but that’s not true. I have this chance to play in the NBA because of a lot of people. I don’t want to disappoint them. It would be easier if I didn’t care about them, but that’s not how I am.

I think differently about failure than a lot of Chinese. In China, many people won’t try to do something if there’s not a high chance of success. Whether I win or lose, I think I can get a lot from the process of doing something. I can be afraid to fail or lose, but I can’t let my fear stop me from trying."

Failure, to Yao, is not about losing money on a potential long-term deal next season, nor is it about losing "street-cred" during the next trash-talk session.

It's about letting down an entire nation of people.

And yet, Yao has never whined—not when he's gone back to China during the summer to train with the national team, when everyone else gets time to relax and recuperate. And Yao has never passed blame—not when Houston has consistently lost in the first round of the playoffs.

He's carried himself with class, worked relentlessly to improve his game, and gone about it all with passion, honor, and joy.

And it showed during the US-China 2008 Olympic match, which was perhaps the most epitomic moment of Yao's career up to this point.

A short time after recovering from a foot injury, Yao, with hands on his hips and gasping for breath as he heroically limped from courtside to courtside, played with all his heart to represent the people and the nation that had poured their trust into him. He only shot 3-for-10, but the passion and toughness he displayed were awe-inspiring.

The best moment? A Yao Ming three-pointer that opened the game—delivering chills and roars down every admirer's spine. "I felt honored to be there watching that," said Chris Paul.

Personally, I have no doubt that Yao's contributions to the game are still under-appreciated. How could they not be when the NBA is all about flash, power, and dominance?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not clamoring for Yao to be MVP. However, if there were a Most Valuable Human award, I'd give it to Yao in a second.

Regardless of whether you're a Yao Ming fan, I hope you come to appreciate what he's done for the sport of basketball. He's brilliantly taken two cultures that couldn't be more different, and brought them together in love for the same sport.

In the process, he's showed us why he's nothing short of a stand-up guy full of decency and courage unmatched by many in this world.

As Kobe Bryant would say, "Yao's built the bridge for all of us."

What a wonderful bridge that is, not only for the sport of basketball, but for the different cultures of this world.

Thank you Yao.

What an honor it is to share your name.

最新评论

chrislau2001 发表于 2009-3-16 15:01:36
  我因为名字的发音(HAO MENG),经常被美国的朋友称作“YAO MING”,虽然我并没有见过他本人。但是姚明是一个7尺6寸(2米26)的野兽,他被休斯顿以状元的身份选中,我怎么能不感到自豪?我把朋友们对我的称呼当作是对我的认定。

看了他在NBA的第一个赛季后,作为一个大个子,姚明有的时候抢不到篮板、被比自己个子矮的人盖帽,跑起来也像一支三条腿的长颈鹿。在度过了8年NBA生涯之后,他依然也会有尴尬的时刻,被伊戈达拉爆扣就算了,被身高只有5尺9寸(1米75)的内特-罗宾逊盖掉扣篮就真的有点残忍。这些时刻,也成了那些批评家们拿来充当姚明被高估的论据。他们质疑姚明浪费了自己的身体优势,他们指责姚明在比自己矮两头的人面前也扣不出有气势的篮。

但是,除了这些场景之外,姚明还是一个应该被感激的人,对于体育界来说,姚明是一个谦虚、无私和包容的中锋,不,不仅是对体育界,而是整个世界。

在一个被华丽的扣篮和无休止的论战充斥的联盟里,姚明一直充当了学生们的楷模。他从不把个人凌驾于集体之上,他从来不过于关注个人数据。他总是尽可能将胜利带给球队,他乐于给每个队友做更多的传球。

你永远不会发现姚明在扣篮之后说垃圾话,更不会发现他抱怨自己出场时间过长。你看到的是站在场边时的姚明永远都是最卖力气为队友鼓掌的一个。他是这么一个令人尊敬的人,即使在沙克口中也称他为“好好先生”。

场下的姚明则始终跟酗酒、毒品这些陋习沾不上边,在全明星赛上永远公益当先,为艾滋病患者争取权益、为中国四川大地震带头捐款。

那些指责姚明软蛋、没激情的人总是用他无法拥有奥尼尔那样的统治力作为论据。在这一点上,他们是对的,因为姚明在他的职业生涯中永远都不会超过鲨鱼,并且,在NBA的将来,也不会有人超越鲨鱼。我们必须理解人们把姚明和奥尼尔进行比较的原因,因为没有别人比他更有资格去跟鲨鱼相提并论了。就好象你非要找出一种水果去跟苹果比较,结果你找到了桔子。

不论奥尼尔如何用娱乐的方式让大家乐开怀,姚明都始终是勤奋、思考和勇敢的代名词,他比其他人更愿意承担责任。对姚明来说,作为一个个人楷模的作用已经远远超过他作为一个篮球运动员所承担的责任,他的形象遍布全球。

当拥有巨人一般的身材时,他就站在了世界的屋脊,他承载了数十亿人的期望。对姚明来说,一个人的成功意味着整个民族的成功。

换作你的话,你敢面对这样的挑战吗?

用姚明自己的话来形容:“我不知道美国的球迷怎样,但是在中国,如果你得了30分,大家就会希望你能得40分,如果你得了40分,大家还会希望你得50分。在我的第一个NBA赛季结束之后,媒体已经在谈论我还有多少年能够拿到总冠军和MVP了。这些事情迫使我想到失败,因为他们的目标很远大,如果我失败的话就是辜负了他们。我可以告诉你我不在乎其他人的想法,但这是谎话。我能够拥有在NBA打球的机会,就是因为那里的人民。我不想让他们失望。虽然,不考虑他们对我的种种期望可能会让我自己好过一些,但是我做不到。”

“我对于失败的定义跟大多数中国人不一样。在中国,人们不会去做那些成功率不高的事情。不过不论我最终的成败,过程中都会让我收获很多。我可能会害怕失败,但是我不会让眼泪妨碍我努力的脚步。”

失败对于姚明来说不是金钱上的损失,也不是垃圾话大战中的被动。对他来说,失败就是让整个民族失望。所以姚明不能停止脚步,在他人可以享受夏日假期的时候,姚明要回到祖国参加奥运会。对于火箭始终止步季后赛首轮,姚明从来都没有逃避过责任。

当然,我在这里并非在为姚明的MVP拉选票。事实上,如果有一个最有价值人类奖,我会毫不犹豫地颁给姚明。

不论你是不是姚明的粉丝,我都希望你能够感谢姚明给体育界、给篮球界作出的一切贡献。正如科比所言,姚明“架起了中美两种文化的桥梁”。

谢谢你,姚明。
Wallacebai 发表于 2009-3-16 15:21:49
文章稍稍有些长, 全部读完要有耐心, 要是能精简一些就更好了.
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表