找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

小池百合子当选东京都首位女性知事

发布者: Candy_hao | 发布时间: 2016-8-2 08:00| 查看数: 1018| 评论数: 0|

From Washington, this is VOA news. I'm David DeForest reporting. Syria's state news agency says the Syrian government says it is ready to resume United Nations-sponsored peace talks with the opposition in Geneva at the end of August.

The announcement follows talks in Damascus between U.N. special envoy Ramzy Ezzeldin Ramzy and Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Fayssal Mikdad.

"I explained to the minister how we intend to proceed, and we discussed how to render this process of political transition which has already been endorsed by the Security Council."

马上学

mashangxue

render:['rɛndɚ]

vt. 致使;提出;实施;着色;以…回报

vi. 给予补偿

n. 打底;交纳;粉刷

endorse:[ɪn'dɔrs]

vt. 背书;认可;签署;赞同;在背面签名

In other developments, the Britain-based London Observatory for Human Rights says U.S.-backed forces have driven Islamic State forces from 70 percent of the besieged city of Manbij near the Turkish border.

马上学

mashangxue

besiege:[bɪ'sidʒ]

vt. 围困;包围;烦扰

And, the International Rescue Committee says airstrikes targeted a hospital in the opposition-controlled town of Dara'a, killing at least six people. The identity of the aircraft was not clear.

A huge explosion has been reported outside a guest house in Kabul. The Northgate Hotel near the Kabul airport housed foreign contractors, including Americans.

The Taliban says it set off a truck bomb outside the building, causing a large number of casualties. There is no independent verification of that claim.

马上学

mashangxue

verification: [,vɛrɪfɪ'keʃən]

n. 确认,查证;核实

At least 13 people have been killed, including seven attackers in an assault on a Somali police compound in Mogadishu.

Somalia's internal security minister says the target of the attack was the headquarters building of the Criminal Investigation Department.

The military group al-Shabaab has claimed responsibility for that attack.

For more on that and other news stories, take a look at our website. It's voanews.com. This is VOA news.

Iraqi officials say militants have launched two attacks on energy facilities in northern Iraq, killing at least five people.

Both assaults Sunday took place in Kurdish-controlled areas of Kirkuk province.

Turkey intensified its crackdown Sunday on officials who allegedly played a role in the failed coup in mid-July, dismissing nearly 1,400 military personnel.

Among those discharged was the top aide to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. Mr. Erdoğan is seeking to tighten his grip on the country's armed forces and its spy agency.

马上学

mashangxue

aide:[ed]

n. 助手;副官;侍从武官

n. (Aide)人名;(葡)艾德

grip:[ɡrɪp]

n. 紧握;柄;支配;握拍方式;拍柄绷带

vt. 紧握;夹紧

vi. 抓住

n. (Grip)人名;(英、瑞典)格里普

New York-based Human Rights Watch is demanding authorities in Afghanistan prosecute militia forces for the abuse and killing of civilians in Fayryab province.

马上学

mashangxue

prosecute:['prɑsɪ'kjʊt]

vt. 检举;贯彻;从事;依法进行

vi. 起诉;告发;作检察官

militia:[mə'lɪʃə]

n. 民兵组织;自卫队;义勇军;国民军

The group says its probe into an attack in June has found members of the Junbish militia loyal to First Vice President Abdul Rashid Dostum behind the violence.

The father of U.S. Army Captain Humayun Khan, who died while fighting for his country, has called on Republican leaders to repudiate Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump for comments seen by many as attempts to degrade the sacrifices of his son.

马上学

mashangxue

repudiate:[rɪ'pjudɪet]

vt. 拒绝;否定;批判;与…断绝关系;拒付

degrade:[dɪ'ɡred]

vt. 贬低;使……丢脸;使……降级;使……降解

vi. 降级,降低;退化

Speaking Sunday on national television, Khizr Khan described Trump as "unfit for the leadership" of the country.

Earlier, in an interview aired on ABC News, Trump said he himself has made a lot of sacrifices as a businessman, creating jobs for people.

"I think I've made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I've done, I've had, I've had tremendous success. I think I've done a lot."

Trump planned a campaign Monday in the industrial states of Ohio and Pennsylvania, key states where Clinton is also campaigning.

Democratic candidate Clinton was on Fox News Sunday and [he] she said Republican Donald Trump's views about Russia raise national security issues. She accused Trump of having what she called "an absolute allegiance" to Russian policy goals.

"... and we know that Donald Trump has shown a very troubling willingness to back up Putin, to support Putin."

Trump in an interview with ABC news said he has no relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Media tallies indicate former Defense Minister Yuriko Koike is the winner in Sunday's Tokyo gubernatorial election, becoming the first female governor of the capital city.

马上学

mashangxue

gubernatorial:[,g(j)uːbənə'tɔːrɪəl]

adj. 州长的;统治者的;地方长官的;总督的

A record 21 candidates ran to become the governor of the city as it prepares to host the 2020 Olympic Games.

The office became vacant when the last governor resigned because of a financial scandal.

马上学

mashangxue

vacant:['vekənt]

adj. 空虚的;空的;空缺的;空闲的;茫然的

n. (Vacant)人名;(法)瓦康

In Washington, I'm David DeForest.

That's the latest world news from VOA.

最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表