找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

【VOA慢速】约出租车司机不再需要恶补英语

发布者: Candy_hao | 发布时间: 2016-9-6 17:57| 查看数: 1072| 评论数: 0|

In New York City, taxicab drivers are a largelyimmigrant community. And now, they are no longerrequired to know English.

In April, New York City's city council approved a billthat allows tests required to get a taxi license to be given in foreign languages. The bill wentinto effect on August 26.

New York City's taxi industry has been dominated by foreign-born drivers for decades. Onlyfour percent of current New York cab drivers were born in the United States. That statisticcomes from the Taxi and Limousine Commission.

Sponsors of the bill in the city council argued that the law will allow more immigrants who needwork to support themselves.

Some New York City residents are concerned that the new law would make communicationbetween the driver and the customer even more difficult.

Residents are also unsure how they would instruct a driver which route to take or preciselywhere they are headed. Also, what if payment issues arise? How will the drivers communicate?

Perhaps technology is the answer.

Before advances in technology, the conversation between driver and customer might gosomething like this:

Driver: Where are you heading?

Customer: I need to go to West 79th Street and Broadway. But I saw there was constructionon the West Side Highway, so can you go up 10th Avenue?

Driver: The traffic there is terrible. How about 8th and cut across on Broadway?

Customer: Sure, but I'm really in a hurry. Can you step on it?

Driver: Okay, here you are. West 79th and Broadway. That'll be $22.50.

Customer: Here's $30. Do you have a five?

Driver: Let me look.

Customer: Never mind! Just keep the change.

But these day most taxi drivers use automated payment systems. People pay the fare withtheir credit or debit cards. They can also use the machines to add a tip.

Also, with the increased use of GPS and navigation apps, communication between driversand riders has decreased. They really don't need to talk to each other.

Many New Yorkers feel that as long as their driver can get them to their destination safely,conversation is not needed. Generally speaking, New Yorkers are not known for chit-chatting.

Even hailing or flagging a taxi does not require speaking. Simply raise your arm and a taxi – youhope – will come.

I'm Anna Matteo.

纽约市的出租车司机是一个庞大的移民组织。而今,他们不再被强制要求说英语了。

4月份,纽约市议会批准了一项法案,允许出租车司机在考取驾照时可以使用外语。该法案于8月26日生效。

据计程车管理委员会统计,几十年来,纽约市出租车行业中外国司机占大多数,目前仅有4%的出租车司机是美国公民。

支持该法案的议员认为,法案让更多需要糊口的移民有生活保障。

一些纽约市民担心,新法案将让司机与乘客间的交流变得更加困难。

他们不知道该如何指示司机走哪条道路,或要去的具体地点。还有,车费问题不会变多吗?如何与司机交流呢?

也许,技术能为您答疑解惑

科技尚未迅猛发展之前,司机和乘客之间的对话可能是这样的:

司机:请问您想去哪儿?

乘客:我要去西79号街和百老汇。但是城西高速公路正在施工,所以你能不能直接走10号大街?

司机:那里的交通状况很糟糕。你看走8号大街然后抄近路通过百老汇成吗?

乘客:可以,但是我赶时间。你能快点吗?

司机:好的,咱们到了。这里就是西79号街和百老汇。车费共22.5美元。

乘客:给您30美元。你有5美元零钱吗?

司机:我找找看。

乘客:没关系!零钱就当小费了。

然而,最近多数司机开始用自动支付系统。乘客可用信用卡或借记卡刷卡付费。另外,还可以用机器额外支付小费。

GPS与导航应用软件的普及,司机与乘客之间的语言沟通越来越少。他们不必再跟对方进行任何交流。

很多纽约市民认为,只要司机把他们安全带到目的地,他们压根不需要交谈。再说了,纽约司机又不是因侃大山而闻名的。

即使打车也无需张口。只要挥一挥衣袖,出租车立刻就到。

安娜•马特奥为您播报。

1词汇学习:

1.taxicab driver 出租车司机In recent years, crime case aiming at the taxicab driver, such as robbery and assault, have experienced frequent occurrence.

近年来,针对出租车司机实施的抢劫、暴力伤害等犯罪案件频繁发生。

2.no longer 不再When a thing has been used, it is no longer new.

当一件东西被用过后,就不再是新的了。

3.taxi license 计程车执照You could've gotten your private taxi license this year.

你今年可以取得你的私人计程车执照。

4.in a hurry 赶时间;匆忙The police were in a hurry to hunt a fugitive from justice.

警察正急于搜捕逃犯。

2内容解析:

1.The bill went into effect on August 26.go into effect 生效

The standard is slated to go into effect next year.

此标准内定明年实施。

The Cease-fire, afterall, was not scheduled to go into effect until several hours later.

照规定,停火还得几小时后才能生效。

2.Sure, but I'm really in a hurry. Can you step on it?step on it 赶快;加把劲

We'll have to step on it if we don't want to be late.

如果我们不想迟到的话,得赶快。

Could you step on it, please?你能不能开快一点?

最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表