找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

It's more than a game

发布者: ccfeng | 发布时间: 2006-6-9 08:10| 查看数: 5435| 评论数: 0|

<h1 class="headline">Beckenbauer: It's more than a game</h1><font size="1"><font color="#999999"><font face="Verdana"><span class="copyright">8 June 2006<br/>by OC 2006 FIFA World Cup</span><br/></font></font></font><p></p><div class="detail-photo-left v11"></div><p></p>The 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany&#8482; kicks off on Friday with the Opening Match between Germany and Costa Rica in Munich. <b>FIFAworldcup.com</b> spoke with Franz Beckenbauer, President of the FIFA World Cup Organising Committee. <p><b>FIFAworldcup.com: Are you pleased that the moment has finally arrived?</b><br/><b>Franz Beckenbauer:</b> You can say that again! Including the bid, this is the culmination of 13 or 14 years' work. When I look back at everything we've fought for in that time, I have to say I’m delighted that it’s here. </p><p><b>What do you expect of the FIFA World Cup? </b><br/>I expect a festival of football in an incredible atmosphere, and a first-class sporting event with great personalities. I also hope that our entire nation shows itself to be a good host. </p><p><b>How many games will you watch?</b> <br/>I’d like to watch all of them ideally, but with the best will in the world, that won't be possible. I'm planning to see 48 games; two or three a day. And even that is only possible because Emirates have provided me with a helicopter, which I’m very grateful for. </p><p><b>Which games are you most looking forward to? </b><br/>The Opening Game, because then it will finally have started, and the Final because hopefully everything will have gone smoothly. </p><p><b>How does this year’s tournament compare with the 1974 FIFA World Cup in Germany?</b> <br/>Germany 2006 is a mega-event. You simply can't compare the two editions from an organisational point of view. You only have to look at the media coverage. Fifteen thousand media representatives have been accredited – a figure that would have been unimaginable in 1974. Thirty-two billion people will watch the games worldwide this time! Hospitality and stadium TV are indispensable today, whereas in 1974 the concepts hadn’t been invented. Above all, however, the 1974 tournament took place under vastly different political conditions in a divided Germany. In 2006, 32 teams and millions of fans are coming to our unified country in a Europe where many boundaries have come down. The difference should be noticeable and palpable. </p><p><a href="http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060606/1/7547.html"><font color="#006699">A world of difference: 1974-2006 </font></a></p><p><b>What was the greatest task during preparations for the tournament?</b><br/>There were countless tasks to be completed in every area and each of them were difficult in their own way. I think overall we have carried it off well. The ticketing was a particular challenge, which will be with us all the way to the Final. </p><p></p><p></p><div class="detail-photo-right v11"><b>The slogan for this FIFA World Cup is 'A time to make friends&#8482;'. You made a number of friends on your tour of the qualifying nations. What was your impression of these countries?</b><br/>Simply fantastic. The idea, which came from our vice-president Wolfgang Niersbach, was perhaps the best idea in the entire preparation. Over a period of four or five months, we flew three times around the world to welcome the 31 nations with our slogan 'A time to make friends'. We were greeted everywhere with great hospitality, often by senior representatives of state, and once even by the Pope. Everywhere we went, the reaction was overwhelming and the media coverage was incredibly extensive and positive. </div><p><b>Are you looking forward to being reunited with so many friends, familiar faces, and former opponents and team-mates ?</b><br/>For that reason alone, I am delighted to have this job. It gives me the opportunity to meet so many friends and acquaintances from my playing days and to welcome them to Germany. When <a href="http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060607/1/76t9.html"><font color="#006699">170 former world champions walk out at the opening ceremony</font></a> in Munich, I will see countless friends and familiar faces. </p><p><b>Traditionally, the hosts go a long way at the FIFA World Cup. Do you think Germany can continue that trend?</b><br/>The home advantage plays a very important part. We saw that in 1974. If Germany can play from the outset with the same commitment and courage and with the same spirit and attacking philosophy that they showed at the Confederations Cup last year, they will get the fans behind them as the 12th man. That will create the spark that can take them all the way to the Final. </p><p><b>Who are your favourites?</b><br/>Brazil are definitely the outright favourites. But Germany have a good chance of beating the Brazilians. </p><p><b>Which players and teams are you most looking forward to seeing?</b><br/>I’m looking forward to seeing Brazil of course, because they epitomise my idea of a perfectly balanced side. They have a clear intention to play good football and play offensively with outstanding personalities like Ronaldinho, Kaka and others. I'm looking forward to seeing new faces at the tournament, such as (Lionel) Messi, (Wayne) Rooney, (Arjen) Robben, Cristiano Ronaldo and (Emmanuel) Adebayor from Togo. Above all though, I'm delighted that huge stars such as (Zinedine) Zidane, (Pavel) Nedved and (Luis) Figo, who had already retired, reconsidered and decided to come back one more time. </p><p></p><p></p><div class="detail-photo-left v11"><b>Who could be the star of this FIFA World Cup?</b><br/>Everything points to Ronaldinho, and everybody you talk to expects him to be the star. However, there are other candidates. Michael Ballack could be the star were Germany to reach the Final because of him. </div><p><b>Who could be the Gillette Best Young Player?</b> <br/>Lionel Messi or Wayne Rooney obviously have a great chance if they are completely fit in time. But the winner of the young star of the tournament will depend on how far his team goes. Lukas Podolski is also at the back of my mind. </p><p><b>Which team could cause a shock?</b><br/>There will be fewer shocks than last time out because the favourites and established teams are coming to the tournament better prepared and more relaxed. They also have their big players fit, although these players are under a great burden of expectation. If there is to be an upset, then I believe it will come from C&ocirc;te d'Ivoire, although Didier Drogba’s team have been dealt the most difficult group. If they do make it to the round of 16, all of the favourites will be on red alert. </p><p><b>Germany started with a 4-1 win over Yugoslavia in 1990 and won the title. How important is a successful start?</b><br/>It’s very important because until then, the team is in limbo. A successful start vindicates everything you have done in preparation and individual decisions. Then everybody can relax, both the team and the media. </p><p><b>Do you expect a general boom in football if Germany win the FIFA World Cup?</b><br/>Definitely. That is exactly what happened in 1954, 1974 and 1990. Why should it be any different this time? </p><p><b>What are you expecting to see on 9 July?</b><br/>Germany in the Final. </p><p><b>What would be a perfect FIFA World Cup for you?</b><br/>For everything to go off peacefully and enjoyably, and for us to make a lasting impression as hosts. </p><p><b>What headline would you like to read on 10 July?</b><br/>'Germany 2006 – it was more than a game.' </p>

最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表